your input on this TQWT baffle design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2004, 02:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default your input on this TQWT baffle design

I wanted to build pair of speakers to use with my tube gear and decided to clone a friends Cain & Cain Abby TQWT's

I built a pair and (as a furniture designer) was not satisfied with the aesthetic. After a couple sketches I came up with a concave baffle added to the front of the enclosure to create a sense of "tension" to the already wedge shaped enclosure. The new added baffle will be 9" wide (per the the existing baffle) and 56" long, 6" shorter than the length of the enclosures. The new baffle will be mounted directly to the old baffle but only anchored in the middle. I will then pull the top and bottom of this 56" baffle out 4" on the the ends to make a concave shape. It will have a 12" x 9" flat spot in the middle of the speaker to facilitate driver mounting. The whole thing looks like a gradual arc resting up against a tall wedge.

This new design will not change internal volume or any other physical aspect but my question is what will it do to the sound. I know these are not going to be exactly like the Cain & Cain's, and I don't expect them to, but will this completely change the dynamic of the design? Remembering that I did leave a 12" x 9" flat baffle area before I started the concave shape.

Thx...Christof
Old 24th March 2004, 08:31 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If I understand you correctly side on it will be )|.

Resonances in the free floating wings will be inevitable.

I'd suggest adding an offest vertical brace between the
two sections. Most viewing angles it would not be visible.

The circular section used the design may look nice,
but it is not optimum for the difraction ripples it will
cause, your arrangement should be fine.

sreten.
Old 25th March 2004, 12:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sreten

It will be just as you pictured it )|\

I will be using pairs of 2.25" aluminum spikes at the top and bottom of the wings to hold them out from the inner baffle.

Is a concave shape in any design a bad idea even if it is totally supported the entire length? In theory should the baffle be flat from top to bottom unless it is intentionally stepped to help with time alignment?

thx...Christof

Hide this!Advertise here!