Sometimes building a budget small speaker is not worthwhile - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2017, 07:55 AM   #1
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Sometimes building a budget small speaker is not worthwhile

I had a need for a small 3 litre speaker and researched and modelled drivers available in Oz. There was very little available that would meet the targets of the design with the best being SB12NRX but had used that previously on 2 speakers (one a Jeff Bagby design). In the end I found a new pair of Q Acoustics 2010i that I bought for AU$159 (superseded model).

I couldn't buy drivers and crossover parts for that price so the option of a DIY speaker was a waste of time and money. The Q Acoustics are more than satisfactory and do not give much away to Jeff Bagby's Sopranos which are a larger speaker.

So there are times where DIY is not worth the effort and after designing and building 50+ speakers it was a pleasure to just be able to pull one out the the box and not get covered in MDF dust etc. Of course DIY can also be about the journey but I've done enough miles.
Old 19th May 2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Sometimes it's not, depends on your wherabouts and timber stash. Cover yourself with real wood dust rather than mdf. This one is available again.
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ca...full-kit-pair/
Old 19th May 2017, 10:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have had the same thought lately, you can buy a pair of Mission LX-3 here in Denmark for 300$ while a pair of these Vifa D'appolito's constructed by Troels Gravesen will end up costing the double for the parts without the cabinet.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree with the high cost of diy in comparison with ' off the shelf ' commercial speakers but surely ,for me at least , the satisfaction comes with the knowledge that what you build yourself has been done with care , enthusiasm and love not to mention the end result often being unique and not a product created by soul-less anonymous robots in some far off factory whose only real concern is making a profit.
When i first got into hi-fi many products were still built ' by hand ' by enthusiastic people
that had a passion for their product/s , sadly those days are, with the odd exception ,long past but given a choice i know which ones would get my money.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

+1 Konzentr8

DIY gives you the chance to make things better, which is not always cheaper.

You can actually choose what wire, caps, coils and drivers you will be using. You can choose your finish to blend into your living space or to stand out.

Speakers that will serve as background noise in your work place can be cheap as long they are not really bad sounding. But the ones that i sit in front of trying to hear every last detail in music - they have to be flat power response, good waterfall and low distortion - and every one of these requirements is positively correlated with price and craftsmanship. That doesn't mean that drivers have to be super expensive to be good, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Last edited by Zvu; 19th May 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Why specifically did want 3 litre speakers?

Assuming 15mm walls, the Q Acoustic speakers are 4 litres, internal volume, 7 litre external volume.

I agree about price for small speakers in particular. My sister has a pair of those 2010i speakers and I like them a lot. And with my limited workshop facilities I could never make a pair of speakers to look as nice. But I like the subjectivity that diy allows. I fiddle around until I get the sound I like.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I had a had enough experience about 8 years ago. Working on a TL 14 litre 2 way with Silver Fute 5 1/4 in Bass/mid and @ that time Vifa XT 25 tweeter.
No matter what I did I couldn't get the Crossover right and it sounded mediocre @ best. After herculean effort time $ money.
So I quit building for a time. About 2 years. Then a friend came up
with a novel new implementation for the crossover. I was hardly inspired @the time & took about 6 months before I could be bothered implementing the mods. It was much MUCH better!
The changes were quite simple. The results dramatic. That was enough to inspire me once more. The momentum slowly came back & now I LOVE it. I'm on a Disability Support Pension & grabbing a bargain @ Garrage or car boot sale & bringing an old retro speaker back to life and better than new helps keep me sane and helps me survive. As a buisness it would be a fail but as a paying hobby a success. For me there is a deep sense of satifaction in restoring speakers. There is also the satisfaction of helping someone else appreciate music more by what you do because its done right. If you are thinking only about the bottom line that is perhaps at least for me missing much of a whole bunch of points.
Take a break and gain a different perspective. Might be the best thing you ever did for yourself to save your hobby. It was for me
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170519_230917.jpg (281.4 KB, 367 views)
Old 19th May 2017, 05:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I built a very good pair of speakers years ago using 2 4" woofers 3" mid tweeter and 1" polycarb dome. Add a sub and these are excellent.
I stopped thinking of building more after I tried current amps out.
The BestBuy $129 pair i have are mediocre on a standard amp but absolutly spectacular on a P-P tube amp.
I now concentrate on amplifiers and adjustments

Audiopath, I have been running the tweeter accoss the woofer inductor with very good results

Last edited by stocktrader200; 19th May 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi stocktrader200 funny you should mention that as one of my next projects will do the same. Plagerised off Adelaide Speakers with Edwards (the propieters permission). Rates as one of the sweetest 2 ways I've ever heard. There are precious few speakers that work & sound correct that way but when they do they are usually something quite special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1495218896462.jpg (380.5 KB, 338 views)
Old 19th May 2017, 06:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

you have to place a 1 0hm resistor with 2.2uf cap accross the woofer as well.
the Q factor should be minimal but needs to be observed

Hide this!Advertise here!