Celestion 66 Studio Moniter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might be the wrong place to post this sorry... I just got my first set of speakers and I don't know **** about audio equipment but these seem kinda beat but they were free so... I'm not even sure if they work but I'd like to refinish them and get the up and running... probably seems kinda vague but any advice will help

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 118
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For free you did pretty well in that the tweeter and super tweeter are worth something for parts. The woofers & ABRs as well likely (i have a set but never tried to sell them).

These were highly regarded in their time and are certainly more enjoyable than nothing. I suspect a new box (a bit wider and better built) and an XO recap could make a big difference.

IIRC you may well find a thread here dedicated to this speaker.

dave

Those could be a real find, especially for the price. Can't beat free!

They may look like they have 4 drivers but there are actually only three. The bottom "speaker" is called a passive radiator. It's not connected electrically to the speaker crossover. It functions as a port substitute to tune the active woofer and augment the bass response.

If you're planning to refinish the cabinets, the drivers should be removed. Be especially careful to note the polarity of each driver connection to the crossover as the positive and negative wiring may not be the same for each. And since the cabinets are probably veneered, judicious sanding is essential so as not to burn through the veneer. Be especially careful around the edges. It's easy to sand through the wood. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Finally, the crossover should receive some attention. It consists of coils of copper coated wire, resistors, and most likely electrolytic capacitors. Speakers of this age will probably need to be replaced. As electrolytic capacitors age, they tend to dry out inside and drift off their intended specs. Since you aren't versed in in these things, I'd recommend consulting someone who can advise you on selection of new film capacitors to replace the old ones. You can also replace the resistors with upgraded ones. They aren't expensive. Leave the coils of wire alone.

All you need to check filter and driver parts condition

Hi FS, best to get your hands on a free tool like ARTA labs software suite, especially LIMP module to check the impedance and filter values ( R,L and C). These findings will tell you everything you need to know if these are in good working order. I have found this schematic online so check if it's real. Take a photo of the XO boards from both of the sides just in case you need it later. From the engineer's point of view there is no need to replace the electrolytics for more expensive types, unless it makes you feel absolutely happier about it. The inductors should not be touched, resistors only if damaged. Enjoy the ride. Last photo is a measurement of a 15 ohm resistor with the best sound card I have, and you can see at high frequencies how it starts to behave badly, nevertheless still good for simple evaluations. I measure things with Audiomatica Clio.

Attachments

• 30wbcl5.jpg
    30wbcl5.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMP Jig.png
    IMP Jig.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 15 ohm resistor.jpg
    15 ohm resistor.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 43
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Where are you? Have you some sort of amp, source, etc? Soldering iron, multimeter?
We're happy to help, but we need to know more to not give inappropriate suggestions.
I do know these can sound wonderful if operating properly. I have lots of speakers but I still use my Dittons as a reference in their size class, would never part with them.
I wouldn't worry about the boxes till you have them working well, if for some reason they don't suit you once healthy, you will have preserved their value for sale or trade. If you do love them, you can then 'build to suit' your room, tastes, placement, etc. These will kind of free you up to assemble the rest of your system, then put time/money into speakers.

Good luck- if you are captured, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions.

p.s. What Lojzek said. The boxes will only get better with another layer of veneer laminated on.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.