Damping material for Mark Audio CHP-70 slim design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for all your help - things are progressing slowly (daughter isn't sleeping well - 2 months old)...
made a test-cut of the driver cut-out, and it worked fine - so when I next get the chance (and the weather behaves) I can get it done...

I will look at the software when it is finished - thank you for the links :)

BR
Jakob

Hi all
I thought I would give you an update;
I have finished the speakers mechanically, though the finish is not as good as I hoped it would be - turns out my local hardware store can't do a vertical cut on their saw (what use is it to get the pieces cut to size on the their saw of they don't square up :-/ )
But apart from that they are nice :)
The frequency response is not linear at the moment (by ear) though it is more pronounced on some recordings than others (Rihanna seemed ok, but Adele was "boxed in" - sounded like it lacked extension at the top).

Regarding the stuffing, it seems maybe a bit too thick? Though I don't have any experience with it?
And the other type (white) is more "sheet-like" than I expected - thought it would be fiber-like... But hopefully it works (I have pulled it apart as best I can).

And lastly - thank you all for all the great input -it is much appreciated :)

BR Jakob IMG_20171231_094613.jpg IMG_20171231_094750.jpg IMG_20171231_095454.jpg

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have finished the speakers mechanically, though the finish is not as good as I hoped it would be - turns out my local hardware store can't do a vertical cut on their saw (what use is it to get the pieces cut to size on the their saw of they don't square up :-/ )

Well, either they can't use their tools or the saw is crap. If they can only cut one direction, there's still the possibility to rotate the board 90° and cut then. I wouldn't buy from such a store anymore.

Regarding the stuffing, it seems maybe a bit too thick? Though I don't have any experience with it?

Yes, that's too much, keep bit less than the half of the white polyester wadding/sheet, the black acoustic foam on the walls is okay. And keep the space from driver to the port free, otherwise it just eats up way too much bass.

And the other type (white) is more "sheet-like" than I expected - thought it would be fiber-like... But hopefully it works (I have pulled it apart as best I can).

The sheet-like material is much easier to use because it stays in place. If you want a loose material, there are pillows from IKEA which are relatively cheap (INNER and FJÄDRAR i.e.), just cut it open ant use the filling. That's better for sealed enclosures though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.