New Danley Invention - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 04:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Danley Invention

Danley demo'd a new invention recently. There's very little info on it, but I thought it would be fun to speculate how it works.

Danley posted this today:

"The cabinet in the movie is a production prototype of a new (ugh I hate to use the phrase) “long Throw” hifi cabinet. It has a 20 by 40 degree pattern and is intended for longer working distances and is more powerful than the J-3 but a little smaller. It has several new acoustic twists in it which I think you would enjoy too….but I can’t talk about here. I can say that if you play pink noise through it, top to bottom, side to side, there is one source. The box sounds unusually clear in person and one of the things Ivan and I are going to do is take some more measurements after a bit more tweaking. I think part of the “clear” sound is here in a harmonic tracking measurement, but I haven’t any conventional speakers to compare to and this isn’t that much better than a J-3. This was gathered last time we were testing it, a nominal 115dB at 15 meters or about 129dB at 1 meter equivalent. I didn’t keep track of which harmonic was which but that’s the 2 through 5 and -10dB =31%, -20dB =10%, -30dB = 3.1%, -40dB = 1% and so on.
Best,
Tom"

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a pic of the box, from the aforementioned video. The video sounds very nice but the file is huge, so I don't want to post a link to protect their bandwidth limitations.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A little more info from Ivan :

"It is something you MUST hear for yourself in person to believe.

Let's just say it is probably the best sounding product Danley has produced.

We will be showing/playing it (and hopefully others like it) at Infocomm in June.

Scary good is an understatement."
Old 18th May 2017, 04:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

So there's two mysteries here:

1) How do you get 150dB out of one box? Even the Jericho J3 maxes out at 143dB. Seven dB might not sound like a big difference, but that's more output than you'd get from TWO J3s.

2) How is Danley getting a 40x20 pattern? There must be something going on; you'd need a box that's eight feet deep to do that, if this was a conventional horn.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:43 AM   #4
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

..it's a line source design.

The thing is, the physical dimension as freq.s decrease limits that line source behavior over any significant distance - so it usually requires stacked multiples to get the lower freq.s over longer distances. IF you don't do that it will require added input to the lower freq. section to compensate.

Fig. 5 shows these limitations:

http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf
Old 18th May 2017, 04:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
So there's two mysteries here:

1) How do you get 150dB out of one box? Even the Jericho J3 maxes out at 143dB. Seven dB might not sound like a big difference, but that's more output than you'd get from TWO J3s.

2) How is Danley getting a 40x20 pattern? There must be something going on; you'd need a box that's eight feet deep to do that, if this was a conventional horn.

The 2nd question probably answers the 1st: "compressed" dispersion produces gain for a given input. It probably also has many sources.

I'm not sure what the 40 x 20 pattern is in relation to freq..
Old 18th May 2017, 05:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Whatever the device is, it has some interesting implications for a hifi horn.

Nobody in their right mind needs a box that can do 150dB at home, but reducing the depth of a Synergy Horn is pretty helpful. In the pic above, you can see a SH-50 I had in my home for a while. The height and width isn't really an issue, but the DEPTH is. Even with a 50 degree pattern, it's quite deep.

I was sort of astounded when I looked at the spec sheet of the J3 and realized how small they are. For some reason I'd assumed they were the size of a refrigerator, but they're actually quite compact.
Old 18th May 2017, 07:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I still haven't heard the SH-50 yet..

What do you like/dislike about it in relation to your Summa's (subjectively speaking)?
Old 18th May 2017, 07:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

..I also wonder if there is some rear pressure leakage from the top and bottom of this line source design to keep the verticals "squashed" at lower freq.s..

(..something seems to be "going on" with the top of the cabinet.)

-sort of a high pressure (small enclosure) "leaky" enclosure, not dissimilar to what you'd see for a DIY cardioid design. But that puts a lot of "pressure" on the drivers for gain, even with gain at in-box resonance.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

129dB at 1w 1m?

It is mostly a hollow rectangular box with flat top and bottom and angled side walls.

A link to Danley's post would be helpful.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've been think about driving up to Infocomm this year. This makes it even more intriguing.

Hide this!Advertise here!