Upgrade/Update my Center Channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2017, 02:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrade/Update my Center Channel

Hi everyone,

I am looking for input on how to make better use of my center channel in my 7 channel setup at home. Currenly it is an Adire Audio Kit 81, and yes I realize how old that makes it. I feel like it is not the best for a center as it is not very "voice" forward, I always feel like the vocal track of movies is the hardest part to listen to, where my surrounds perform great. I was wanting to change my setup to a proper 3 way, where I use the av8 woofer, with a nice midrange off the site, and either the Audax TM025F1 tweeter or a newer one. So here is the AV8 specs:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/OldAdireDrivers.pdf

here is the original crossover design (and kit as well): http://service.minjja.lt/files/?id=23350

Looking at a woofer graph I saved a long time ago it starts to get choppy above 750.

So I was thinking of crossing the woofer high end at 700, and then the mid around 5000, using something like this: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...00-hz--260-156

I would have to make a new enclosure, where I add a sealed area for a mid, and increase the original vented design by whatever the volume of that sealed area is. But, I guess what I am asking is what do you guys think, is this a good plan, or should I just get a new center channel kit?

Thanks,

Orlando
Old 13th May 2017, 08:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't think anyone here will encourage the use of off-the-shelf crossovers. The part quality is fine, but drivers are much more complicated.

I would more strongly suggest you go with a pre-designed center kit.

If you were OK with a 2-way, I would recommend my own LM-1C as a good place to start, but many options at Parts Express, Meniscus and Madisound.
Old 13th May 2017, 09:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I have never designed a crossover, so that is why I was looking at off the shelf. If I were to pick out a fullrange to run as my mid would it be too much to ask for help building a crossover from the group?

Orlando

Hide this!Advertise here!