Why does logitech have a capacitor- dual 2 inches

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I opened a Logitech 530 satellite and I noticed a capacitor on the 2nd speaker. It is wired like this:
Green wire from amp to + on 1st spk and white wire from amp to neg on 2nd spk

On 2nd speaker, a capacitor across + and - on 2nd
Then a white wire from positive on 2nd speaker to neg on first speaker.
Thanks

The effect is to "short out" (bypass) the second speaker at high frequencies.
Actually, it's not for BSC. Note that the two drivers are in series at bass frequencies, this results in half the power so no net gain compared to a single driver with twice the power.
The main reasons are to (a) reduce the excursion for a given bass SPL and (b) to have only a single driver operating at high frequencies. If both drivers covered the full range there would be significant "lobing" effects where the sound level would vary depending on your head position.

Actually, it's not for BSC. Note that the two drivers are in series at bass frequencies, this results in half the power so no net gain compared to a single driver with twice the power.

You are right. I think I shouldn't post before being awake. If it were current driven (what I don't expect it to be) then it would actually be possible to do BSC like that.

I guess it is most probably there to reduce lobing higher up.

regards

Charles

Thanks guys, now that I know about lobing, it brings up another question. I'm building a small portable, hopefully with a better sound then most, system. The Left, center and right speakers ( 3") will have a 2 inch space between them with the woofer and passive radiator out the back. Is that going to be a problem?
thanks

Thanks, for those comments. As a reference, using a permanent seat, how far does the left and right need to be spaced apart? I assume that depends on how away the permanent seat is. Is there a formula for that? And if you add a center speaker, how does that affect the lobing?

There are two ways ( for making a stereophonic recording )
Place two microphones ( on axys ... ) in front of the musical venue
According to their POLAR response they will caption the sound(s) arriving
so there's an internal "timing" in this system that it's been created, where time & distance move together, and during reproduction it will be released.
The real difference between a live sound and a reproduced one is that with the latter you lose the sense of distance related to sound intensity ( as you can walk and approach to the source, louder ).

The other way of making a media with stereo tracks, well, use more than 2 mics, or ....
:rolleyes:

With dual tracks ( stereo)
you obtain a stereo image by making the summation at your ears of what arrives from the L and R channel.
Check how phase ( which contains the timing information ) combines from both sources, as it has been mastered. It's the same information that the mics captioned. Different if the master is obtained from mixing & added reverb etc.

The lobe ( I think ) is a characteristic of the polar diagram.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.