Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Where can I find a beginner's guide to active crossovers
Where can I find a beginner's guide to active crossovers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2017, 06:12 PM   #1
mp006ltk is offline mp006ltk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Where can I find a beginner's guide to active crossovers

I've been building passive crossovers for years now and I can see in my head the changes that will happen when I increase or decrease a component value.

Now I would like to learn how to build active crossovers. Is there an easy to understand guide that explains how to design them and how to manipulate components to get the desired results?

I've been searching and really haven't seen anything simple. I don't want a DSP based system because I haven't seen any that can deliver on the sound quality I'm looking for. The DEQX comes close but.......... I would rather let my dCS Elgar plus to the conversion and filter in the analog domain.

Thanks in advance!!! Sorry if this is a repeat question. I actually did search first.......
Old 8th May 2017, 06:19 PM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Don Lancaster's Active Filter Cookbook
Old 8th May 2017, 06:24 PM   #3
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

More appropriate than Lancaster's book :

The Design of Active Crossovers by Douglas Self
Old 8th May 2017, 06:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

^ Quite likely, I haven't read it

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/active-filters.htm

Last edited by scottjoplin; 8th May 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 8th May 2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello mp006tlk,

Going analogue active is unfortunately a bit more complicated than Douglas Self (whom I greatly admire btw) describes. The topologies are OK, the implementation pretty useless with real world loudspeakers.

The real problem is that real loudspeakers-in-a-box do not have a flat SPL characteristics, which no-ideal behaviour has to be taken into account when calculating the filter component values. Text book values for R s and C s are not going to do the job properly.
Furhermore, inter-driver delay has also to be taken into account, complicating matters even further.

You actually need a simulation program with proper optimizing capabilities to come up with something useful, on the basis of real in -box measurements.

But hey, I only stated this half a dozen times before in the various active x/o threads.

Good luck,

Eelco
Old 8th May 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you both!!!!
Old 8th May 2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@ mp006ltk
Addendum: I just by chance discovered you postred in the Linear X thread. LEAP used to be one of the very few filter optimizing packages that could do this job properly, being both capable of doing active circuitry plus having a very good optimizer. LspCad, Calsod and Soundeasy are the others.
Old 8th May 2017, 06:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Siegfried Linkwitz addressed all those issues in the analogue domain.............then decided to go digital....I don't know what to think about that, I'm a big analogue fan, but bigger Linkwitz fan...
Old 8th May 2017, 06:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

To Boden:

Yes, I have CLIO for measurements and plan to manipulate actual response the same way I do passive crossovers. Since I'm starting from scratch, I literally don't know what the circuit should even look like. If I can understand how they work, I'm hoping I can then use those skills to get where I need to go.

For software, I have soundeasy, but haven't tried it on active circuits. Personally, I prefer LEAP, but that's a dead end.....
Old 8th May 2017, 07:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks all again! Sorry didn't mean to be rude above.

Where can I find a beginner's guide to active crossoversHide this!Advertise here!