Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2004, 04:53 AM   #1
Tov is offline Tov  United States
diyAudio Member

Question New DIYer needs help.

Hello, I'm am new to these forums and completely new to the DIY scene and I have a few questions. Well I have no clue where to start. What I plan to do is build me some bookshelf speakers that will run off my logitech z680 amp until I get a reciever. When I do get a reciever it will be at least 100w per channel if not more. The logitech amp is 8 ohms, but I have no clue about mixing and matching. I'm also on a budget since I am a college student, so I am not looking to spend more than around 200 to 300 dollar when finished. Any good reading material and other help would be highly appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2004, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was thinking on starting a similar post, since I have been digging in the forum and can't really work out a good program on how to build a speaker.

At the moment I am collecting info by going through all the DIY-sites and some posts here on the forum. I'd be happy to share it with you once it is a bit complete.

Assuming you don't wanna buy a book on the subject, I'd suggest you can start to do some reading here:
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysde...und_system.htm
Old 23rd March 2004, 07:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I might buy a book depending on the price.
Old 23rd March 2004, 08:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For a good starter book I always recommend The Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual by David Weems. It does a good job of explaining the basics and includes several complete projects. Keep your mind open for alternatives. For a good sounding, smaller speaker that's easy to build and inexpensive consider using a "full-range" driver such as the Fostex FE-103E or Fe-127E in one of their recommended enclosures. Another thing that many newcomers to audio get hung up on is power ratings. Remember, the first watt is the most important one because you will always be listening to it. If the first watt is bad 99 more isnt' going to help. You'd be surprised how loud 3 or 4 watts can be with the right speakers when it's clean power. Check out this project:
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html
The W3-871S is very nice for it's price and should you go with something more later on these will always make good computer speakers or even rear surrounds.
Old 24th March 2004, 12:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you know where I can find speakers. I've been looking through partsexpress, but I was hoping for some other good low cost sites.
Old 24th March 2004, 03:16 AM   #6
VictorG is offline VictorG  United States
diyAudio Member

So Tov,

Does this mean you want to build or you want to buy?

Because for 200-300 you can get some fairly decent speakers. I wouldn't go to best buy if i were going to buy though. I would look on ebay for something like a nice set of ARs , maybe the AR-7, about anything with that 8 inch, preferably with the rubber surround. Don't be tempted into "glitz" if you are going to buy, nice shinny metal surrounds and grils and tweters does not mean good sound. I would tend to stick to good names, AR, JBL ect. Don't get tempted into "sleek" looking sony's, phillips, ect.

Now if you want to build, thats another story. You can get good sounding speakers for under 100. With 200-300 you stand to do really well. But I don't want to write advice on this matter unless this is what you intend to do....

Brian
Old 24th March 2004, 03:29 AM   #7
tg3 is offline tg3  United States
diyAudio Member

I recommend you build a speaker kit. Good return for the money, and you'll learn a lot in the process.

Here are some places to start:
* GR Research
* Selah Audio
* Madisound
* North Creek Music Systems
* Bamberg Engineering Sound Lab

There are many other excellent choices as well.

HTH
Old 24th March 2004, 03:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I actually really want to build my own speakers. I thought about buying, but you seem to have to spend a lot to get a lot.
Old 24th March 2004, 03:56 AM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
If the first watt is bad 99 more isnt' going to help.
Well said

except for on party nights
Old 24th March 2004, 04:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Another alternative is to build your own speakers based on a design on the net. There are many to choose from. Here are a few:

John's fully documented bookshelf speakers

Two documented bookshelf speakers with vifa drivers

Hide this!Advertise here!