New DIYer needs help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm am new to these forums and completely new to the DIY scene and I have a few questions. Well I have no clue where to start. What I plan to do is build me some bookshelf speakers that will run off my logitech z680 amp until I get a reciever. When I do get a reciever it will be at least 100w per channel if not more. The logitech amp is 8 ohms, but I have no clue about mixing and matching. I'm also on a budget since I am a college student, so I am not looking to spend more than around 200 to 300 dollar when finished. Any good reading material and other help would be highly appreciated.

I was thinking on starting a similar post, since I have been digging in the forum and can't really work out a good program on how to build a speaker.

At the moment I am collecting info by going through all the DIY-sites and some posts here on the forum. I'd be happy to share it with you once it is a bit complete.

Assuming you don't wanna buy a book on the subject, I'd suggest you can start to do some reading here:
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysdes/Design_of_the_sound_system.htm

For a good starter book I always recommend The Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual by David Weems. It does a good job of explaining the basics and includes several complete projects. Keep your mind open for alternatives. For a good sounding, smaller speaker that's easy to build and inexpensive consider using a "full-range" driver such as the Fostex FE-103E or Fe-127E in one of their recommended enclosures. Another thing that many newcomers to audio get hung up on is power ratings. Remember, the first watt is the most important one because you will always be listening to it. If the first watt is bad 99 more isnt' going to help. You'd be surprised how loud 3 or 4 watts can be with the right speakers when it's clean power. Check out this project:
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html
The W3-871S is very nice for it's price and should you go with something more later on these will always make good computer speakers or even rear surrounds.

So Tov,

Does this mean you want to build or you want to buy?

Because for 200-300 you can get some fairly decent speakers. I wouldn't go to best buy if i were going to buy though. I would look on ebay for something like a nice set of ARs , maybe the AR-7, about anything with that 8 inch, preferably with the rubber surround. Don't be tempted into "glitz" if you are going to buy, nice shinny metal surrounds and grils and tweters does not mean good sound. I would tend to stick to good names, AR, JBL ect. Don't get tempted into "sleek" looking sony's, phillips, ect.

Now if you want to build, thats another story. You can get good sounding speakers for under 100. With 200-300 you stand to do really well. But I don't want to write advice on this matter unless this is what you intend to do....

Brian

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I could have been a little more specific on what I wanted. What I am looking to do is slowly replace my logitech z-680's. I like my bass punchy, my mid-range defined, and my high clear. I guess I kind of over shot my bidget a little, I think 200 would be my max spent after completion. Eyes became a little bigger than my stomach there ;p.

I got the cabinet drawings. Madisound has the woofer and the tweeter so that is covered. I'm sure getting crossover parts is no difficult task. What my question is, is those crossover drawing on that page, the first one is the woofer and the second is the vivfa tweeter right?

I have a few questions on the skematics of the crossover I am to use. At http://www.gr-research.com does the mF mean micro on the Axon Poly Caps? he also has a sentence that states if a resistor is less than 1.0 ohm, than it does not exist. Does that mean that there is no resistor there at all? And I cannot seem to find a 50ohm resistor, he calls it a bypass resistor, so is it a special type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.