Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3D printing 1/2 of a waveguide
3D printing 1/2 of a waveguide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2017, 08:26 PM   #181
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Can they do resin method at 15" x 10.5" x 9"? All the resin printers I've run into can print only highly detailed versions of things the size that I used to find in gum machines when I was a kid...
Shapeways? I don't know anything about their resin printers. The sintered powder nylon is superior in about every way, except very smooth surface finish. The build volume is pretty large since all the machines are industrial units, there are no hobbyist sintered nylon machines.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:36 PM   #182
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

will the B&C DE250 be a drop in replacement for the DNA360? google suggests the DNA360 is a clone to some degree but it's not obvious if they are similar enough internally to be used as is
Old 12th September 2017, 06:04 PM   #183
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't tried DE250 of course (have barely tried DNA360 very much), but from previous projects they seem to be drop-ins. Same delay offset, very similar frequency responses. (except all the DNA360s I've seen have been somewhat smoother than any of the DE250s I've measured -- though I've only worked with qty=4 DE250, so maybe not too conclusive there!).
Old 12th September 2017, 06:59 PM   #184
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I found the two drivers not to be significantly different. I got a better price on the DE250 so I just stuck with it. There has been a change in the DE250 over the years so one has to be careful of the vintage of the drivers being compared. A Chinese made diaphragm used to drop into a DE250, but they don't anymore.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:24 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

OK thanks. I was thinking of picking up a 3d printer to try this out (creality cr-10 appears to be big enough and seems well rated) so it would be good if a driver readily available in Europe can drop straight in.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:56 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

CR10 should be capable, but with its stock hotend and nozzle (0.4mm dia) it would take days to print each half of one and also wouldn't be as strong. You'd want to put a V6 hot end and a 1mm Volcano nozzle to get down to 12hrs per half horn.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:51 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

thanks for the tip, I'll look into that some more.
Old 15th September 2017, 08:39 PM   #188
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill, in your injection molding discussion which Erich, did he mention what the up front manufacturing cost would be for something the size of your waveguide? It seems like if push came to shove and the 3D printing route was too cost prohibitive, perhaps an injection mold and initial run could be crowdfunded, leaving just the driver mounts for 3D printing. DIYers would still have to get their hands dirty with gluing, drilling and filing.

I know the SEOS waveguides have a tramp stamp on their backside ("SEOS") maybe we could get some registers for driver mount locations, drill holes, etc.

Last edited by Brinkman; 15th September 2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 15th September 2017, 09:00 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Hi Brinkman,

We weren't thinking about doing an injection molded version of this horn, it is just too big to be affordable (on a hobby basis and as a molded part) and I don't see any way the woofer ports and ducts could be done at all. The injection mold idea was for a horn "stub" that would be just large enough and detailed enough for the tweeter driver and one or two midranges (either or both types of drivers could be used). It would have tabs then that plywood sections could be bolted onto the stub to make the overall horn as large as wanted (anywhere from 20" to 72" would likely be doable with a stub like that). Woofers could be ported as needed to make it work into the low-midrange or upper bass range. I sort of doubt this will ever happen, it would still be expensive to get a mold made (I don't know a numerical cost figure, but something in the range of a small car). Because of the geometry of a horn, the user would still have to cut angled panels, so more work and calculation than most kit builders would want to do even if they have the tools. So there wouldn't likely be very many people wanting to get into it.

Add the complications of whatever in hell the Danley Synergy patent means (as opposed to the Unity patent which seems to be the same?), and the appeal for putting money into it gets thin. Of course, the stub could be sold as just a general mid or HF horn part (could be used for basic horns, just seal off the un-needed apertures). But not too much demand for just that -- the kit buyers like sure-thing, already worked out, zero risk purchases, except for those few of us that like to make one-of-a-kind projects.

Last edited by bwaslo; 15th September 2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:43 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Default Full plans, without all the preludes are now at

3D printed 3-way Unity waveguide home audio speaker

Thanks!

3D printing 1/2 of a waveguideHide this!Advertise here!