Convert Floor Standing Speakers to Bookshelf Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Mission 773 floor standing speakers. They sound great, but the finish (black wood effect vinyl) has started to peel off, it is possible the previous owner let them get slightly damp or the material has over time become too tight and come off on its own. I think it's called Sheffield Oak Umbra Vinyl Fablon.

I am thinking of rehousing them in a smaller enclosure so that I can fit them on shelves. My question is, if I maintained the distances between the different speakers in the new enclosure, will a new enclosure be detrimental to the sound? I would like to go for a black wood finish, which shows the natural wooden texture. What wood should I use and what thickness? What do I do about feet?

How about something like*Oak Crown Cut Plywood MR Veneered 1 Side Only*?

Thanks for your reply.

Mission_773e_drivers_lf_580x468_pixels.gif

Look like the photo but with silver cones instead of copper/brass colour.

The volume of the enclosure is directly related to the tuning of the bass port and bass response or the drivers. If the rest of it is OK, I'd be tempted to re-finish them and leave it at that.

Yes, and the pics that I found put the port fairly high in the enclosure. I have no idea of the internals, but it is possible that part of the cabinet is an empty cavity, and actual chamber for the drivers is smaller. So getting to bookshelf size should be fairly simple.

Just another word of caution to OP, placing bookshelf speakers on shelves might not yield best results sound wise. :)

Easy to see what's inside. Unscrew one or both of the big drivers. Put your hand over the driver so if you slip the screwdriver hits your hand not the speaker cone.
Then you can see if the box volume extends all the way to the floor and you can probably see the x-over board as well.

Speakers need to be several feet from a wall to sound the best. On a shelf will not be good.

As you said the Mission finish is vinyl picture-of-wood on the boxes and not real veneer. Could possibly sand the rough spots and cover with a primer like KILZ which sticks to anything. Apply with roller and sand and re-prime until the finish is uniform. Then spray with rubber textured rocker panel paint.
Or build new veneered boxes. MDF, as it is dead acoustically, is the best material to build a box from by most accounts. Build it with butt joints. Sanding all the joints smooth and applying veneer is the easiest way to build a nice box.
They don't look bad though.

Last edited:
If you are indeed mounting these on a bookshelf and not stands then you might be better off losing the port and reducing the volume.

A simple test would be to plug the port. If you like the sound then go for sealed enclosure with about 60% of the internal volume, same driver spacing, same driver baffle width.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.