Tangband w3-881sjf with tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@OP, use a crossover calculator to determine capacitor values for high pass, for both the 881 and tweeter.
A 100Hz HP is just at the resonance of the 881. I don't think a single cap will provide you the FR you need. You either need an active crossover or something more complicated than a single cap crossover. Another option could be a sealed box if it can offer the right HP i.e. at the same frequency of the subwoofer LP.

Ralf

I don't see the need to add a tweeter to a small 3" fullrange driver. IMHO the TB should be used with a FAST approach with a crossover at 300-400Hz.

It says 2.1 but i can't see any of your output connections at all on this board. A 2.1 would have 3 channels out.
If it does indeed have 3 channels out one (sub) goes to the sub and the other two go to the left and right 2-way crossovers. These go to your tweeters and 881s. The crossover to eliminate frequencies below 100 Hz is a high pass filter and could be as simple as a cap in front of the 881. We told you earlier what this should be. Around 200mF. if you want a tweeter to kick in though it may not be needed, connect the tweeter in parallel with the 881with another capacitor in front of it. Use an online crossover calculator to calculate the value of the capacitor based on the crossover frequency you want the tweeter to kick in at. This system is not going to be amazing sounding no matter what you do .

Because off the amplifier board?

A first order high pass that low is not going to give the 881 much protection

Enough to filter out the low bass pump?

Only thing i want is make a boombox with high quality sound. I must say the tpa3116d2 with subwoofer and 2 881 are sound pretty awesome! The tweeter is not a must but filter the frequencys below 100hz is!

I had already search for diy 3 way crossover but it only give me 800hz and 8000hz or 600hz and 6000hz if you know what i mean?

Sorry I didn't mean to sound snotty. I am always surprised how good the TB-871 sounds. Yes none of this is super quality but it will be okay. But as ScottJoplin says a 1st order x-over , a single capacitor in line with the 881, will still deliver a lot of low frequency information to the 881. Try a second order or a first order (capacitor) at a higher frequency ... 150-200Hz. This calculator shows the value of the capacitor required. Ignore the inductor for the woofer. I run the 871 full range but it cannot go very loud.

Attachments

• first order 150.jpg
    first order 150.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sorry I didn't mean to sound snotty. I am always surprised how good the TB-871 sounds. Yes none of this is super quality but it will be okay. But as ScottJoplin says a 1st order x-over , a single capacitor in line with the 881, will still deliver a lot of low frequency information to the 881. Try a second order or a first order (capacitor) at a higher frequency ... 150-200Hz. This calculator shows the value of the capacitor required. Ignore the inductor for the woofer. I run the 871 full range but it cannot go very loud.

Oke i don't understand..why must i use 200hz highpass..and sorry i really try to understand but i don't get it about second and first order en capicitor and all that stuff.

Can i use this --> https://www.parts-express.com/100-hz-high-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-462

A high pass crossover filter(capacitor) removes low frequency information which your 881 clearly cannot handle. Use an online crossover calculator like I showed you in the image in my last post. There are many such crossover calculators online. Just google. Or buy a cap as shown in the image I attached from PartsExpress. A non-polarized is cheapest. And read some basic information on speaker design. There are introductions to the topic online. There is no excuse with all the online resources to be asking such basic questions here. But we all started somewhere.
Yes the crossover you posted a link to is a good idea. It is a 2nd order. It uses two components that each shift the phase by 90 degrees so hence called a 2nd order. It cuts off the low frequencies more sharply than a first order capacitor only cross over.

Last edited:
A high pass filter(capacitor) removes low frequency information which your 881 clearly cannot handle. Use on online crossover calculator like I showed you in the image in my last post. There are many such crossover calculators online. Just google. Or buy a cap as shown in the image I attached from PartsExpress. A non-polarized is cheapest. And read some basic information on speaker design. There are introductions to the topic online. There is no excuse with all the online resources to be asking such basic questions here.

I gonna read some info on the internet, thank for the info!

Yeah a 1st order 200uF cap crossover does practically nothing as the frequency response of the driver falls off about equally anyway. Modelled it in XSim.
The whole point of a crossover is to increase the impedance in the frequency range where you want attenuation. The RLC as you say, Lojzek, gives a smooth system impedance curve and attenuates the FR more dramatically.
Again this RLC looks expensive!
DIY is not alway cheaper.

Yeah a 1st order 200uF cap crossover does practically nothing as the frequency response of the driver falls off about equally anyway. Modelled it in XSim.
The whole point of a crossover is to increase the impedance in the frequency range where you want attenuation. The RLC as you say, Lojzek, gives a smooth system impedance curve and attenuates the FR more dramatically.

https://www.parts-express.com/80-hz-high-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-458

And if i use only this (without tweeter)

Gives a nasty system peak around 100Hz. Put an 8.2 ohm power resistor in front of this crossover. That smooths it out but only shifts your -6db point up by 15hz to 50 Hz from the claimed driver response. Worth a try Lojzek?
You will see a minor improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 91

I have all the parts for my boombox, the only thing is that with high bass music the speaker extends to much. So now i'm with the problem that i can't make my boombox ready because of the low bass. So the only thing i must do is block that frequencies, but because the speaker is 6.6 ohm i can't find a good crossover.

If i put a 220uf capacitor it is tuned at 110 hz wich is perfect, but you say it is expensive!!..?

Sorry for all the questions but it is really sad that i can go finish the project because of that low bass. Thank you very much😃

Official TB data of W3-881 sjf is suspicious to me in that it extends too much in the low bass and if you check TS parameters the cabinet related cut-off in 3 litre sealed box is significantly higher than what infinite baffle measurements suggest. This is a sim of the official FR graph with cabinet response spliced at 300 Hz. Baffle step was calculated as if the baffle measured 4" by 6", and the unit was in the centre of it, sharp edges.

Attachments

• XO filter.jpg
    XO filter.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 102
  • FR.jpg
    FR.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMP.jpg
    IMP.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.