2 general sub questions, please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, everybody
One more time I am bothering you with my rookie questions.

I am going to build my first active subwoofer with a Peerless 12” XLS. I want it to be small and suitable for both home theater and music (mostly).
Before I begin with my project, I would like to know opinion of experienced subwoofer builders on the following simple questions:

1. Is it better to isolate a plate amp (which is a well known Parts Express 250 W) in a separate volume, or I can place it in the same volume with the driver? I am not concerned about possible leakage or box rigidity which I can take care of, but safety of electronic components and PCBs under a huge air pressure inside a box.

2. Since I am very much concerned about its dimensions, I am inclined to make my subwoofer a passive radiator box of approx 35 liters volume, following Peerless reference design. The question is: can such a system produce accurate bass, good for music applications, or will it sound too loose?

Thank you in advance for answers,
Misha

Misha
Plate amps are made to mount directly in the main enclosure. There's no reason to make a separate enclosure. The air pressure generated inside the sub will have no affect on the amp. Just make sure you take the volume displaced by the amp into account in your box volume calculations.

Passive radiator subs are quite popular. Yes, their group delay is higher than sealed systems and usually higher than similar ported systems, but they can be quite musical. If you're trying to get deep bass in a fairly small box, a passive radiator system is often the only alternative to a ridiculously-sized port or absurd amounts of EQ in a sealed system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.