Small format cone driver in horn thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
They load my fullranger to 400hz. The driver is open ie no back chamber so response is kinda cardioid.

Are you still using the A2S driver? I'm seriously considering pairing that waveguide with the Aurasound NS3-193-8A just to see what it sounds like - https://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ns3-193-8a-3-extended-range-driver-8-ohm--296-258

The NS3 has a much lower Fs and Qts. Still haven't gotten around to simulating either in Hornresp, but the NS3 should have better bass than the A2S and it's 2-3dB more sensitive.

Are you still using the A2S driver? I'm seriously considering pairing that waveguide with the Aurasound NS3-193-8A just to see what it sounds like - https://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ns3-193-8a-3-extended-range-driver-8-ohm--296-258

The NS3 has a much lower Fs and Qts. Still haven't gotten around to simulating either in Hornresp, but the NS3 should have better bass than the A2S and it's 2-3dB more sensitive.

Yes still using the same driver until the others arrive for testing. But with measurments and sound this clean, im in no hurry

That driver looks good but i think 2" is the sweet spot here unless you want to cross very low?

I think it is great that you tried a lot of things, and the winner cost only $40. It indicates you're not being too guided by (expense-based) expectations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

That's interesting - they look fairly alike.

Its all in the room, application and user preference!

I may be imagining the VFM being worse but I do remember thinking they were harsh. Not a skerrick of that with these horns

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
i think 2" is the sweet spot here unless you want to cross very low?

I was trying to match the driver Sd to a 2 inch throat and just noticed that I misread the Sd in the NS3 spec sheet as 21sq.cm... The NS3 Sd is 31sq.cm which would require a small throat adapter to neck down to 20.27sq.cm. Still, I'll keep it on the list of things to simulate when some free time comes up.

2.5 inch drivers are probably the closest Sd match for a 2 inch throat, but most 2 inch drivers will fit the entire surround in the 2 inch throat which simplifies mounting.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
For reference, these are the TS parameters for the A2S driver from HiVi/Swans that will be used in any following Hornresp sims:
Sd=13.00
Cms=7.07E-4
Mmd=1.50 (Mms from HiVi)
Re=6.50
Bl=2.50
Rms=0.20 (calculated using Fs=153 and Qms=7.33)
Le=0.03 (estimated from similar size driver with same Bl)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The sims definitely look funky, but that's not necessarily an indication of how it sounds :) Here are the input parameters I used with an estimated S2=400:
Ang=1.0xPi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.10
S1=20.27
S2=400.0
Con=20.32
S3=1241.93
Exp=10.16
Vrc/Fr/Vtc/Lrc/Tal/Atc=0

Looks like 90 +/-5dB from about 200-1000Hz into a 1xPi space. Your actual room is obviously quite a bit different.

Attachments

• A2S 11x17x12 horn schematic diagram.PNG
    A2S 11x17x12 horn schematic diagram.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 427
  • A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical impedance.PNG
    A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical impedance.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 433
  • A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power.PNG
    A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 423
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Are you simulating with a closed rear chamber? That yields different results than an open back driver because of the interference from the back wave. Set Vrc=0 for no back chamber.

Edit: Here's the combined output into 1xPi and 2xPi in the loudspeaker wizard, 1W input, masked resonances. I was never sure why the HF always seemed to roll off with almost every simulation, but it definitely doesn't in real life. Cone drivers definitely beam at higher frequencies so they will be very audible on axis.

Attachments

• A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power combined 1xPi.PNG
    A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power combined 1xPi.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 417
  • A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power combined 2xPi.PNG
    A2S 11x17x12 horn acoustical power combined 2xPi.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I was never sure why the HF always seemed to roll off with almost every simulation, but it definitely doesn't in real life.

It's because Hornresp by default shows the power response, not the pressure response. Directivity effects are not taken into account.

The pressure response of a single-segment horn can be calculated using the Directivity tool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.