Simple question for connoisseur

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have build a pair of speakers for my monoblock J.E. Labs 300B tubes amplifiers using two Audio Nirvana 12 inch classic full range speakers. I'm a high frequency lover and I find the full range a little shy with high frequency, there are no crossover. I want to add a tweeter to the set-up using just a first order capacitor as a high pass filter.

I'm also using these speakers with my SANSUI integrated amp AU-519

Here are the specs : http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an12classicspecs.jpg

As you can see the S.P.L. is rated at 98.5db but the graph show that the speaker can reach a little over 105db at 3K to 5K frequency.

My question is : what kind of tweeter sensibility (db) should I buy to have a balance volume from the ''woofer'' and the tweeter ideally without using a L-Pad adjuster ????

So far, I'm thinking of a JBL / Selenium - ST200 Super rated at 105db or
JBL / Selenium ST 302X - Super Tweeter - 8ohms rated at 106db or
JBL Selenium ST400TRIO rated at 111db
Selenium specs : Selenium Products | JBL Professional

Could be other brand than JBL / SELENIUM, I don't care, I'm just thinking of tweeter sensibility here.

I just try a pair of FOSTEX FT17H rated at 96db but the tweeter volume was way to low to match the Audio Nirvana full range.

Thank you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that bad, but I would like to ear the bells a little more. The graph show that after 10K there is a big drop of frequency. So I would like to correct 10K to 20K in a more linear curve. And no, I'm not equip to do some measurement, but my ear don't lie to me.

I know what you mean. I'm a fullrange fan, and I have the same issue, in my case it's age related. I've wanted to have more top end but also haven't wanted to sacrifice the simplicity and image coherence of the single driver, so, sacrilege, I've gone for treble boost!

Ted Jordan made clear that the best compromise for a full ranger is a low eficiency 4' in order to get the balance right from lows to highs.

Striving for deepest bass, better highs, and higher sensitivity simply leads to worst compromises.

As I said in my first post, I don't care about the brand, the question is : what kind of tweeter sensibility (db) I need to match the volume (db) of the Full Range Audio Nirvana ?

Yes, the problem is those supertweeter high eff stuff, Jbl, Fostex, or whatever, you will never manage proper highs integration. Súper tweeter are a bad concept in itself, though they have capability to spray around random high frequency energy.

Looking at the response graph I'd be more inclined to try some EQ to tame the 500Hz - 6kHz region. It looks well out of balance to me (all midrange, no bass, no treble)

edit: your 12" will be beaming at the highest frequencies so something like the JBL 2402 bullet tweeter (or the beyma copy) may help to match the directivity if you really want to add a tweeter.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.