Crossover for two way with Vifa D25 and Dayton DC200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Steve is using Boxsim, a free speaker simulation program from Visaton: Downloads

And if he would use the software correctly, he would see how bad his crossover proposal actually is. But he prefers to do fictional simulations using wrong drivers. I have given up all hope.

Attached is a zip file that contains all driver data files and two Boxsim projects (crossover System7 and Dissi).
I see that 2kHz resonance you mentioned.

Is the woofer crossover in your schematic just a notch as Steve said? Would it not be beneficial to add a lowpass too to get rid of the higher frequencies from the woofer, I can see from the graph there are some there.

I have to agree with Dissi, that the Dayton DC200-8 is the 8" woofer from hell, at least in a two way. :eek:

TBH, it is worse than I thought. I usually assume on well-behaved woofers, and that is what I buy, below. This Dayton reminds me of those awful Scanspeak 6" sliced cone woofers.
H1471-08 CA22RNY

But I always enjoy tangling with Dissi. I think my revised ideas here are excellent. Glorious amplifier-friendly impedance and better rolloff on the bass. :D

TBH, I have no idea what is going on with phase aka polarity and time-alignment, but something ought to work. For sure, the tweeter is getting worked hard.

What I don't like is those old 10" bass AR 38S speakers. Terrible problems on a simple notch.

Attachments

• Dissi versus system7 Part one..PNG
    Dissi versus system7 Part one..PNG
    71.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Dissi versus system7 Circuit.png
    Dissi versus system7 Circuit.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Acoustic_Research_AR38S.JPG
    Acoustic_Research_AR38S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Acoustic_Research_AR-38S_Crossover.JPG
    Acoustic_Research_AR-38S_Crossover.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Raccoon1400, it is time for a review. Your original Energy ESM-2 speaker was a failrly traditional 8" polycone bass plus 1" tweeter design.

Here's the spec for the speaker:
Freq. Response: 40 Hz - 22 kHz
Tweeter: 1" Ferro fluid cooled
Woofer: 8" Polypropylene cone with rubber surround.
Crossover: 2.0 kHz phase corrected
Efficiency: 86 dB SPL/W/M
Impedance: 8 Ohm nominal
Recommended Amp Power: 12 to 100 W RMS
Size: 23 3/8" H x 10 1/2" W x 10 1/2" D
Weight: 24 lbs ea.

610056d1491523016-crossover-two-way-vifa-d25-dayton-dc200-energy-esm-2.jpg

You have inherited a botched repair project here. IMO, you are throwing good money after bad. You might get away with a well-behaved 8" midbass paper cone here, but the Dayton DC200-8 is actually a pure bass unit. A rotten choice as replacement. Which is where Dissi and I concur.

All I can say, is don't get your hopes up. It'll never be a good speaker. :rolleyes:

You have inherited a botched repair project here. IMO, you are throwing good money after bad. You might get away with a well-behaved 8" midbass paper cone here, but the Dayton DC200-8 is actually a pure bass unit. A rotten choice as replacement. Which is where Dissi and I concur.

All I can say, is don't get your hopes up. It'll never be a good speaker. :rolleyes:

We'll see I guess. I'm not expecting the world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.