Omnidirectional Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've only heard MBLs in quite large rooms and in that context, I didn't find the imaging to be diffuse exactly- that would be putting a bit too strongly. Imaging wasn't pin-sharp but localisation still seemed good. Apart from that they were one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and the ones that sounded least like a speaker. Other than those, the least 'speakerish' speakers I've ever heard were Quad ESL63s, also in a large room, and the Linkwitz Pluto in a much smaller room.

So obviously you guys don't think it is just another over expensive concept and it could work.

What if you were to put an inflated balloon onto a speaker and it compresses the balloon top to bottom while the balloon expands in horizontal diameter. This would act as a true point source speaker from the balloon which would not add to the mass as all those aluminium strips would. Just a thought.

I think the marketing needs to be separated from the concept. It has mass like everything else on the planet. Is the mass of his voice coil and aluminum balloon parts less than the mass of air in a box? Does it matter or is it marketing. I understand these speakers are $250K range. That requires a lot of marketing:).

As for the concept, most of what he said about the omnidirectional concept and operation is true. I have not heard those MBLs, but I am listening to a homebrew omni and they definitely interact with the room differently than a conventional speaker. What he briefly touched on was the effect of getting continuous sound in the room even if you move around. His guests probably tried it outside the video. Its almost unsettling as there is no tone shift or drastic volume change when you move around, unlike what you get with regular speakers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/303941-omnidirectional-work-progress-5.html#post5019727

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.