Zobel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ah, the inevitable re-appearance of that piece of nonsense formula for speaker impedance correction, falsely attributed to Zobel. The correct method to obtain a flat impedance with minimum phase i.e. the speaker will look like a resistance in the crossover frequency range is to use Boucherot's method for power factor correction. This involves finding the impedance and phase of the speaker at the crossover frequency and solving for R=cos theta.Z and for XL= sin theta.Z From this information vector formula methods are used to resolve the distribution of current in the correction circuit to find the values for C and R. The Smith & Larson Woofer Tester will do all this for you, if you are not familiar with the maths involved.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Without zobel

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With zobel as per calculator 12.2uF + 7 ohms (using Re)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With zobel 9uF + 8,2 ohms (using nominal driver impedance not Re)

Last edited:
Because 12uF has a reactive impedance of ~26ohms at 500Hz, just like what your plot is showing.

You need a capacitor that has a low impedance at the higher frequency so that the source sees the added R as a load in parallel to the voice coil.

Effective impedance = sqrt (26.5^2 + 7^2) =~27ohms.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
75uF + 8R2

Attachments

• limp 9m + seteta  tresuF co zobel seteta  cico uF 8R2.png
    limp 9m + seteta tresuF co zobel seteta cico uF 8R2.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 181
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Andrew now I understand how it's work.

Because 12uF has a reactive impedance of ~26ohms at 500Hz, just like what your plot is showing. please show me the maths to calculate by myself

You need a capacitor that has a low impedance at the higher frequency so that the source sees the added R as a load in parallel to the voice coil.

Effective impedance = sqrt (26.5^2 + 7^2) =~27ohms. what's 26.5 & 7?

Because 12uF has a reactive impedance of ~26ohms at 500Hz, just like what your plot is showing.

Effective impedance = sqrt (26.5^2 + 7^2) =~27ohms.

Thanks Andrew now I understand how it's work.
Frequency F0 =1/{2PiXcC} for capacitor and F0 = XL/{2PiL}
XL= 2*Pi*F0*L
This is 90degrees phase difference to the resistor's impedance.
You add these two 90degrees phase difference impedances using the sqrt of squares rule
Effective impedance = Sqrt( XL^2 + R^2)

Hi merlin el mago,

Before you run an impedance test in Limp, make sure you run a calibration test via the CAL button.
After that, measure the impedance of a resistor (for example 8.2 ohms metal film or metal oxide). If the response (in ohms and phase) is nice and flat, you can then be assured that your loudspeaker impedance measurements will be accurate.
If the response in ohms or phase are not flat, you may be able to correct this via the cable compensation button next to the CAL button.
Hope this helps.:)

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.