Will this design work? (Drawings) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2017, 12:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Will this design work? (Drawings)

I'm planning to make two floor standing speakers. Will this 45 degree effect sound negative? I just want to look this way but i'm not sure about audio effect. Main driver is 4" 25w cheap chinese driver. angle is 45 degree and top part is also 45 degree to body. 90 degree to driver. I will build with 18mm bamboo plywood. Please let me know about your thouths and suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker 2.jpg (188.9 KB, 364 views)
File Type: png speaker 2s.png (941.6 KB, 360 views)
Old 18th March 2017, 12:36 PM   #2
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

If that is a tweeter in the front face and a woofer angled in the top then I think you will get a pretty weird response.

The tweeter is likely to be a good way out of time alignment with the woofer and will have a lot more direct sound being on axis, the woofer will mainly be heard off axis or from the reflector panel, I would think you would get a lot of diffraction from the edges of both the cabinet and the reflector.
Old 18th March 2017, 12:52 PM   #3
jrh0516 is offline jrh0516  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd say It would be worth measuring. I kind of prefer the fixed reflector vs. relying on the room.

A bit wider baffle and deflector would push down the baffle deflector diffraction
Old 18th March 2017, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for answer. As you see I don't have any knowledge or experience about audio. But I like designing. Yes there's a tweeter in the front. So what can you recommend? I'm not looking for "audiophile" sound. Even with best design, my electronic will not sound best. But at least I want some decent results. I can change design if you (or anyone) have suggestions.

Thanks again!
Old 18th March 2017, 01:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Usually speakers are mounted horizontally to aid dispersion, this seems half and half but then the reflector negates that anyway. Is this purely for aesthetics? Where did you get the idea?
Old 18th March 2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Remove the top reflector - it is totally unnecessary. Woofer at 45 degrees will diffuse the sound, something like a Bose speaker - love or hate case.
Old 18th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for answers,

I designed this on sketchup. I dont really have any idea about sound dispersion or other technical things about audio but want to learn and design/built more. Is there any way to keep design but change angles or positions of drivers? I want to keep main design but for sure if it will give me horrible sound i can change the shape.
Old 18th March 2017, 01:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonce View Post
Remove the top reflector - it is totally unnecessary. Woofer at 45 degrees will diffuse the sound, something like a Bose speaker - love or hate case.
It's there as a part of design. Totally visual. if it wont effect negatively i would like to keep it this way.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you want to keep the reflector then I would suggest you place the tweeter as close as possible to the woofer, at least it would then be serving a useful purpose.
Old 18th March 2017, 05:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What about placing tweeter to reflector? Facing to woofer at 45 degrees. Please be nice I'm totally newbie ��

Hide this!Advertise here!