Will this design work? (Drawings) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2017, 05:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Can you do a sketch, show what you mean?
Old 18th March 2017, 06:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Oh it's 2am here. But tomorrow morning I will share. Just put the tweeter underneath that reflector. Facing downwards to woofer. Two drivers (woofer and tweeter) will face each other at 45 degree.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

No, I meant mounted next to the woofer pointing in the same direction. What you suggest is definitely not a good idea. . Good night
Old 18th March 2017, 06:36 PM   #14
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDesignHK View Post
Please let me know about your thouths and suggestions.
Aesthetically it's not a good design as if you wanted to create an anubis like looking object. Beauty is in the right kind of curves and if you'd like to do something with sharper edges then look for the Dynaudio Facette speakers which is a very good looking product, imo.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:58 PM   #15
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Experiment result - rectangular reflector

This got me interested, and enough votes are in, so let's see what the experiment says. This is using my Omni cabinet, 21cm woofer, LR4@1.8Khz. There can be other issues with a tall cabinet behind a woofer but lets see what a rectangular reflector does.

The FR graphs are nearfield (20cm@30deg from woofer center). Things get worse as the rectangular reflector approaches the woofer. Its from destructive interference as sound reflects off the panel.

I should also add, you can get this effect if you place your speaker close (against) the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1849 reduced.jpg (398.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: png open woofer plane.png (71.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: png 90deg to woofer plane.png (105.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: png 60deg to woofer plane.png (69.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: png 45deg to woofer plane.png (97.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by DonVK; 18th March 2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Wall effect
Old 19th March 2017, 02:17 AM   #16
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don's measurements show why short distance reflective surfaces create dips in the frequency response based on their dimensions relative to wavelength.

Have a look at Linkwitz's LX Minis and Pluto projects. Lots of information there and reading through that will probably help you to understand more of the mechanics involved.

That being said using no name chinese drivers, limited knowledge and no experience with crossover design coupled with an unusual cabinet design means you are certainly choosing to do it the hard way!
Old 19th March 2017, 02:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Aesthetically it's not a good design as if you wanted to create an anubis like looking object. Beauty is in the right kind of curves and if you'd like to do something with sharper edges then look for the Dynaudio Facette speakers which is a very good looking product, imo.
Thanks for shearing your thoughts. I checked Dynaudio Facette, personally i didnt like it. I mean beautiful but not for me. I know that beauty is subjective value, its good to hear another voice. Thanks again. I will re-design and share the sketches. please do comment again.
Old 19th March 2017, 02:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
This got me interested, and enough votes are in, so let's see what the experiment says. This is using my Omni cabinet, 21cm woofer, LR4@1.8Khz. There can be other issues with a tall cabinet behind a woofer but lets see what a rectangular reflector does.

The FR graphs are nearfield (20cm@30deg from woofer center). Things get worse as the rectangular reflector approaches the woofer. Its from destructive interference as sound reflects off the panel.

I should also add, you can get this effect if you place your speaker close (against) the wall.
I really appreciate your work. Thanks a lot. Although i didnt understand anything about graphs (well I think 20-75 hz is not good) i understand that reflector will not a good idea. actually it wasnt thought as reflector in the designing but became one so i will add some new drawings. Hope you will write something again.
Old 19th March 2017, 02:49 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
Don's measurements show why short distance reflective surfaces create dips in the frequency response based on their dimensions relative to wavelength.

Have a look at Linkwitz's LX Minis and Pluto projects. Lots of information there and reading through that will probably help you to understand more of the mechanics involved.

That being said using no name chinese drivers, limited knowledge and no experience with crossover design coupled with an unusual cabinet design means you are certainly choosing to do it the hard way!
Actually i saw that pipe(ish) designs. So their tweeter facing front but woofer facing upward. Let me make another sketches. Thanks again I appreciate all comments.
Old 19th March 2017, 02:55 AM   #20
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDesignHK View Post
I really appreciate your work. Thanks a lot. Although i didnt understand anything about graphs (well I think 20-75 hz is not good) i understand that reflector will not a good idea. actually it wasnt thought as reflector in the designing but became one so i will add some new drawings. Hope you will write something again.
The graphs show the performance of the woofer, for various angles of your reflector [ no reflector, 90deg, 60deg, 45deg ]. Ignore the graph response for <75Hz it does not matter for small woofers. Its the upper frequencies >800Hz are experiencing destructive interference (large dips). In a 2 driver system, your woofer will need to operate up to 2->3Khz at least, and this system is having problems at 0.8KHz.

Hide this!Advertise here!