Will this design work? (Drawings)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to make two floor standing speakers. Will this 45 degree effect sound negative? I just want to look this way but i'm not sure about audio effect. Main driver is 4" 25w cheap chinese driver. angle is 45 degree and top part is also 45 degree to body. 90 degree to driver. I will build with 18mm bamboo plywood. Please let me know about your thouths and suggestions.

Attachments

• speaker 2.jpg
    speaker 2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 417
  • speaker 2s.png
    speaker 2s.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 420
If that is a tweeter in the front face and a woofer angled in the top then I think you will get a pretty weird response.

The tweeter is likely to be a good way out of time alignment with the woofer and will have a lot more direct sound being on axis, the woofer will mainly be heard off axis or from the reflector panel, I would think you would get a lot of diffraction from the edges of both the cabinet and the reflector.

Thanks for answer. As you see I don't have any knowledge or experience about audio. But I like designing. Yes there's a tweeter in the front. So what can you recommend? I'm not looking for "audiophile" sound. Even with best design, my electronic will not sound best. But at least I want some decent results. I can change design if you (or anyone) have suggestions.

Thanks again!

Thanks all for answers,

I designed this on sketchup. I dont really have any idea about sound dispersion or other technical things about audio but want to learn and design/built more. Is there any way to keep design but change angles or positions of drivers? I want to keep main design but for sure if it will give me horrible sound i can change the shape.

Experiment result - rectangular reflector

This got me interested, and enough votes are in, so let's see what the experiment says. This is using my Omni cabinet, 21cm woofer, LR4@1.8Khz. There can be other issues with a tall cabinet behind a woofer but lets see what a rectangular reflector does.

The FR graphs are nearfield (20cm@30deg from woofer center). Things get worse as the rectangular reflector approaches the woofer. Its from destructive interference as sound reflects off the panel.

I should also add, you can get this effect if you place your speaker close (against) the wall.

Attachments

• DSCN1849 reduced.jpg
    DSCN1849 reduced.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 150
  • open woofer plane.png
    open woofer plane.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 90deg to woofer plane.png
    90deg to woofer plane.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 60deg to woofer plane.png
    60deg to woofer plane.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 45deg to woofer plane.png
    45deg to woofer plane.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Don's measurements show why short distance reflective surfaces create dips in the frequency response based on their dimensions relative to wavelength.

Have a look at Linkwitz's LX Minis and Pluto projects. Lots of information there and reading through that will probably help you to understand more of the mechanics involved.

That being said using no name chinese drivers, limited knowledge and no experience with crossover design coupled with an unusual cabinet design means you are certainly choosing to do it the hard way!

Aesthetically it's not a good design as if you wanted to create an anubis like looking object. Beauty is in the right kind of curves and if you'd like to do something with sharper edges then look for the Dynaudio Facette speakers which is a very good looking product, imo.

Thanks for shearing your thoughts. I checked Dynaudio Facette, personally i didnt like it. I mean beautiful but not for me. I know that beauty is subjective value, its good to hear another voice. Thanks again. I will re-design and share the sketches. please do comment again.

This got me interested, and enough votes are in, so let's see what the experiment says. This is using my Omni cabinet, 21cm woofer, LR4@1.8Khz. There can be other issues with a tall cabinet behind a woofer but lets see what a rectangular reflector does.

The FR graphs are nearfield (20cm@30deg from woofer center). Things get worse as the rectangular reflector approaches the woofer. Its from destructive interference as sound reflects off the panel.

I should also add, you can get this effect if you place your speaker close (against) the wall.

I really appreciate your work. Thanks a lot. Although i didnt understand anything about graphs (well I think 20-75 hz is not good) i understand that reflector will not a good idea. actually it wasnt thought as reflector in the designing but became one :) so i will add some new drawings. Hope you will write something again.

Don's measurements show why short distance reflective surfaces create dips in the frequency response based on their dimensions relative to wavelength.

Have a look at Linkwitz's LX Minis and Pluto projects. Lots of information there and reading through that will probably help you to understand more of the mechanics involved.

That being said using no name chinese drivers, limited knowledge and no experience with crossover design coupled with an unusual cabinet design means you are certainly choosing to do it the hard way!

Actually i saw that pipe(ish) designs. So their tweeter facing front but woofer facing upward. Let me make another sketches. Thanks again I appreciate all comments.

I really appreciate your work. Thanks a lot. Although i didnt understand anything about graphs (well I think 20-75 hz is not good) i understand that reflector will not a good idea. actually it wasnt thought as reflector in the designing but became one :) so i will add some new drawings. Hope you will write something again.
The graphs show the performance of the woofer, for various angles of your reflector [ no reflector, 90deg, 60deg, 45deg ]. Ignore the graph response for <75Hz it does not matter for small woofers. Its the upper frequencies >800Hz are experiencing destructive interference (large dips). In a 2 driver system, your woofer will need to operate up to 2->3Khz at least, and this system is having problems at 0.8KHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.