Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Will this design work? (Drawings)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2017, 12:19 PM   #31
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDesignHK View Post
Do you mean like this? I will need larger space for this am i right? I mean i calculate the chamber that speaker stay is about 5,6 litre exactly what manufacturer recommend. If I add one more speaker do I need double space?
I agree with Scott, the tweeter needs to be roughly at ear listening level.

Yes, 2x drivers means 2x volume but you'll also get much better bass from small speakers.

I can't tell how high the cabinet is. One drawing has a vertical tab at the back (oblique to top woofer) of the cabinet for a tweeter. That would be one location because it would be parallel to the wall and raised to ear listening level. However it does cause a phase shift problem from the woofer. Another solution is to put the tweeter as high up on the front surface so its aligned to the front woofer.

Are you sure you don't want to use 2 full range speakers for this, and avoid the other issues?

Last edited by DonVK; 20th March 2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: phase alignment edit
Old 20th March 2017, 01:12 PM   #32
AquaDesignHK is offline AquaDesignHK  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I really appreciate guys, you already taught me a lot. So, what about this drawing?

And I want to ask should I double the cabinet volume due to 2 speakers?

Speaker itself about 60cm without that tweeter board. I thought it can be even place on the TV stand. The guy in the drawings is about 180cm tall. He can give some idea about scale.
Attached Images
File Type: png LAST.png (121.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: png last2.png (325.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 20th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #33
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you bring your tweeter plate down to where the bottom of the angled woofer is and put the other woofer underneath the one on the base you would have a TMM style with the tweeter being reasonably time aligned. Much more conventional but likely to be more successful.

By combining radiation in different directions from the same type of drivers will create interference patterns. This can be helpful if you know what you are doing and can control the relative levels or EQ of the drivers like the Beolab does.

In your picture it is more likely to create destructive interference and peaks and dips in the response.

Cabinet volume is dependant on the parameters of your drivers, do you have any Thiele Small parameters for them. Also whether it will be sealed or vented.

Last edited by fluid; 20th March 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:30 PM   #34
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
If you bring your tweeter plate down to where the bottom of the angled woofer is and put the other woofer underneath the one on the base you would have a TMM style with the tweeter being reasonably time aligned. Much more conventional but likely to be more successful.

By combining radiation in different directions from the same type of drivers will create interference patterns. This can be helpful if you know what you are doing and can control the relative levels or EQ of the drivers like the Beolab does.

In your picture it is more likely to create destructive interference and peaks and dips in the response.

Cabinet volume is dependant on the parameters of your drivers, do you have any Thiele Small parameters for them. Also whether it will be sealed or vented.
I agree.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:47 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Oh I dont really understand the placement. (My bad English)
I attached the graphs that manufacturer provided. and the other informations are like this;

Rated power: 35W

Maximum power: 50W

Peak power: 100W

Effective frequency: 75Hz-5500Hz

Sensitivity: 86dB

Qts: 0.56

Cabinet volume: 5.6L

I designed as sealed. No any reason just easier. I think vent hole and insert pipe also need some calculation. I feel very down now. I think it will ended up ordinary book shelf speakers; woofer and tweeter in the front. But I want to make something visually different and pleasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T2FY5XXpRaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg (157.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg T2sXWFXuhaXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg (165.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg T2v0GJXBJXXXXXXXXX_!!316587309.jpg (168.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 20th March 2017, 01:55 PM   #36
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

In my mind I saw it as a floor stander. Obviously that's not the case, so, from an aesthetic point of view you could place the tweeter wherever you want and adjust height with the stand. I still recommend though that you place it as close as possible to the woofer. Also you mentioned a 2.1 amp, are you planning to use a subwoofer?

Last edited by scottjoplin; 20th March 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:03 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I have a TEAC subwoofer leftover. I will use it for now and make a simple cube subwoofer box later. So... Since everything is very cheap, I'll take this as experimental design.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:42 PM   #38
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh I dont really understand the placement. (My bad English)
Like this, I chopped your picture up a bit but hopefully you get the idea.

Will this design work? (Drawings)-png

Quote:
I attached the graphs that manufacturer provided. and the other informations are like this;

Rated power: 35W

Maximum power: 50W

Peak power: 100W

Effective frequency: 75Hz-5500Hz

Sensitivity: 86dB

Qts: 0.56

Cabinet volume: 5.6L
The last page is the most useful as it lists the T/S parameters put these into a box program and it will tell you the optimum cabinet volume.

There are some strange things in that Qts is shown in the image as 0.52 and not 0.56, but Vas at 5.6L is the same as the cabinet volume they have listed.

Making the cabinet the same size as Vas will work but it may not be optimal.

Quote:
I designed as sealed. No any reason just easier. I think vent hole and insert pipe also need some calculation. I feel very down now. I think it will ended up ordinary book shelf speakers; woofer and tweeter in the front. But I want to make something visually different and pleasing.
Sealed is fine but those woofers won't go very low in a sealed cabinet.

Make it however you want it to look, but the image I just posted will work a lot better as a speaker!
Attached Images
File Type: png LAST.png (201.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 21st March 2017, 02:17 AM   #39
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just want to make decent speakers for listening music with some nice looking handmade touch. Maybe I can give it to someone as gift. I thought it would be nice next to TV for using with TV and music player.

Is it really dramatically effect that distance to wall or shape of the room? Houses are so small in Hong Kong. I mean will it be disturb any ordinary person that not especially looking for HIFI sound?
AquaDesignHK,

For your goals, you might want to check out wide-band (aka full-range) drivers. I know this is the multi-way forum, but given the design brief, I thought I'd suggest.

Mark Audio, one of the popular wide-band brands among diyA folk, are based in Hong Kong, so should be easy for you to check out.

An "up-firing" design that might interest you:

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70
Old 21st March 2017, 05:07 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

fluid, Thanks mate, I got it now. Probably I will go for single woofer + tweeter. Maybe just ordinary tower speaker. I will try something different maybe next time.

zman01 Thanks for the link. I heard about his speakers, seems very good quality. I don't know the price range but must be way way over this projects budget. Definately i will go for full range drivers next time.

Will this design work? (Drawings)Hide this!Advertise here!