Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Building my first bookshelf speakers.
Building my first bookshelf speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Ubernoob1 is offline Ubernoob1
diyAudio Member

Default Building my first bookshelf speakers.

Hey guys and girls, I have been a member on a couple of car audio forums but I am enjoying woodworking so I'm keen to have a go at making some small bookshelf speakers and I have very little idea of what I'm doing.

I made a soundbar a couple of months back and it was a pretty poor effort, beamed quite badly and as expected had no separation.
The amplifier from the soundbar build will be used for the new speakers, it is just bottom tier auction site stuff but will have a two way active crossover for the new speakers.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am looking at a 5L internal volume and am leaning towards the Dayton RS28F-4 tweeter and the RS125P-8 5" mid but am open to suggestions. Crossover would be probably 4th order at 1800Hz.

Last edited by Ubernoob1; 18th March 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 11:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Haven't managed to get much of a new start on the new ones but the timber will be Tasmanian Blackwood and Cypress.-

This will have a bunch more routing shaping before the drivers go in-
Old 18th March 2017, 12:05 PM   #3
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

For a soundbar i would swap the mid and tweeter, tweeter outside, even facing away a little. It would make sense to do some research before woodworking. Measure twice, cut once.
Old 18th March 2017, 12:07 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Look at overnight sensations for inspiration...
Old 18th March 2017, 12:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The soundbar has been retired after a few hours of use, I will try some DSP nastiness in the future to see if that helps but it may just become a center speaker.

It doesn't show in the pic but the face is angled and there is an 8" sub in the back.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks adason, had a good read about the Overnight Sensations, they sound like a great little speaker and the Cherry ones look fantastic! It's pretty amazing how low they play for such a compact thing.

I can get that tweeter locally but the mid would cost more in postage to Australia than the purchase price. Dayton stuff is easy to get, well priced and it seems to get good reviews.

The box is made from 3/4" timber and the centre piece is thicker at 15/16", would it be wise to brace the box? The size has reduced to about 4.1L and the longest side is 10", the edges are done with a dovetail bit to increase glue area.

Old 19th March 2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What are your goals regarding frequency response?
IMO for Dayton, maybe try DC130A or DC130B to allow for bass extension is a ported enclosure to 50hz or lower depending on size/tuning.
Try a ND25FA or ND28 tweeter.
Old 19th March 2017, 09:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was only really expecting decent performance to 70Hz, I have a spare Earthquarke SWS 8" sub and was planning on building that in to the rear of a new TV cabinet.

The plan was to try a couple of passive radiators or even an aperiodic vent in the back before admitting defeat and installing a vent.

Anything over 5" will be too large for the enclosure, volume will be limited to about 0.15cu ft with drivers installed.

The ND25FA looks very nice for the money, any reason you'd suggest that over the RS28F other than cost?

Crossover will either be a KMTech 24dB three way unit or a FREEDSP.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob1 View Post
I was only really expecting decent performance to 70Hz, I have a spare Earthquarke SWS 8" sub and was planning on building that in to the rear of a new TV cabinet.

The plan was to try a couple of passive radiators or even an aperiodic vent in the back before admitting defeat and installing a vent.

Anything over 5" will be too large for the enclosure, volume will be limited to about 0.15cu ft with drivers installed.

The ND25FA looks very nice for the money, any reason you'd suggest that over the RS28F other than cost?

Crossover will either be a KMTech 24dB three way unit or a FREEDSP.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The RS28FA looks really nice if you need to crossover to a larger woofer. FS of 545Hz etc... The ND25FA has a smoother response and off axis performance.

Depending on how hard you want to drive them, maybe FaitalPRO 4FE32? Power wise they'd do the job but they have limited Xmax. Keepinf with the Dayton theme, the CF120?
Old 19th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Surely the dearer silk dome would have to sound nicer? The frequency response of the ND25FA looks good and off axis is pretty awesome too.

There will be quite a bit of work in shaping the cabinet front in to some sort of waveguide so I don't mind spending a bit more on the tweeter if it will give an improvement in sound quality.

On the soundbar the tweeters are set a bit deep so I will improve my shaping this time, the tweeter will have the faceplate removed and it will be rear mounted with a carved elliptical waveguide.........of sorts.

I would have ordered the FaitalPRO but they aren't available locally and post is slightly less than the driver.
All the Tymphany family stuff is easy to get, SB Acoustics and Visaton seem to be the only speakers I can find in abundance.

Building my first bookshelf speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!