Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Speaker measurement difficulty - What's up?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2017, 03:38 AM   #1
legendre is offline legendre  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker measurement difficulty - What's up?

Howdy folks,

Speakers aren't my forte.. in fact, I know little to nothing about them. But I've been playing around with impedance measurements recently, and came across something I can't figure out. It's pretty simple, really..

Just for drill, I set up an impedometer to measure a pair of little KLH bookshelf units. Everything went as expected, until I decided to knock (with my hand) on one of the speakers, to see what effect it had on the reading. As I expected, the reading fluctuated while it was perturbed, but the surprise came when it didn't settle back down to the original 'static' impedance.

I thought it might be a defective speaker, so I next tried the mate of the KLH speaker - and found the same issue. Next I set aside the KLH speaks and used a bare 4" driver - and found the same dang thing. If it's perturbed, the reading will not settle back to the original value.. ack.

So what is going on, here? Are the voice coils subtly shifting (and holding) position, thus changing the Z? And if that is the case, how do I measure the DUT - driver under test - without this wandering effect? For ref, here's the basic impedometer circuit I'm using:

Click the image to open in full size.

In my case, I'm using a selected 10R part (actual 10R02) rather than 8R. Also, I'm not using the scope, as it's not necessary here. Phase angle isn't of interest, and the power is so low that distortion isn't an issue either.

Last edited by legendre; 18th March 2017 at 03:45 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 03:42 AM   #2
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

What exactly did you hook up? Speaker impedance varies by frequency, so to say you measured the impedance means you measured the magnitude and angle from 20 Hz to 20kHz.

From Stereophile, here is a typical impedance measurement:

Click the image to open in full size.

If you were measuring resistance, and that magically changed and would not come back chances are you disturbed a connection somewhere.

Best,

E
Old 18th March 2017, 03:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Howdy Ed, thanks kindly for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
What exactly did you hook up?
The circuit is pictured. The integrity of connections isn't the issue afaik. Point is, I can measure driver D at freq. F and level L - then after moving the cone & coil (rapping on it, etc) it will not settle back to the same impedance. And the shift isn't trivial, either..

Last edited by legendre; 18th March 2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I read an early version without your pic.

That would be unusual in a working speaker. This points to mechanical friction or electrical resistance.

Double check your Vmeter battery? Just thinking of things.

By connections, I include the point to poitn wiring of the crossovers and internal wiring of the speakers.

Last edited by eriksquires; 18th March 2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:16 AM   #5
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

You might try connecting a 1.5volt battery across the speaker in an intermittent way in order to produce 'clicks' from the driver and then in the reverse connection. This might free up the suspension of the driver for it to return to normal.

All one can do is experiment a little and observe the result.
There may have been a DC component flowing in the test circuit at the time of testing and then having tapped the cone it has reset itself to what is normal, thus the impedance might now be a different value. Loudspeaker drivers have a limited Xmax (limited linear movement) particularly small drivers and such may only be 2 millimetres thereabout.
Take care not to be too heavy handed when doing such things.

C.M
Old 18th March 2017, 04:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To trouble shoot, I would take the speaker apart and start with the drivers. Ensure the pair measure identically.
Old 18th March 2017, 04:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So am I correct, in that the impedance of a driver will vary, depending on the position of the voice coil in the gap? That is, if the resting point of the cone (and hence, the voice coil) are a little further 'in' or 'out' of the gap, after being disturbed, will change the 'static' Z of the driver?

I am seeing changes of well over 10% simply by doing a little knock-around with either the bare driver or the speaker. And yes - I give the instruments time to settle. The meter in use is a cal'd Fluke 8050A.

FYI, the 'speakers' here are little KLH 2-way bookshelf models.. model is KLH 9900 Satellite. 8R. They are cast-offs from some HT system or whatnot. Just keep them around for utility purposes.

Last edited by legendre; 18th March 2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 18th March 2017, 05:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well check both of them.

In theory, any resistor in place will work, assuming your measurement tools have enough resolution, and/or your input voltage is high enough maybe try smaller? Try something around 10 Ohms so you have enough signal to move the driver. With a 4 Ohm speaker, the voltage at the meter could be very small. I've not tried making my own rig, but worth trying.

Best,

E
Old 18th March 2017, 05:21 AM   #9
wintermute is online now wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Have a read of sb-accoustics document on measuring T/S params http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php...le/-/view/191/

Tony.
Old 18th March 2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Jack Hidley is offline Jack Hidley  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are measuring the impedance of a woofer at higher frequencies, the impedance will vary a fair amount depending on the voice coils rest position. Generally the father towards the back of the motor, the greater the inductance and the higher the impedance.

In addition at low frequencies, the impedance will change for a time period after disturbing the driver due to mechanisms related to creep. This behavior is quite complex.

Speaker measurement difficulty - What's up?Hide this!Advertise here!