Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-way Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-way - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-way
Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2017, 08:57 PM   #21
dave123 is offline dave123
diyAudio Member

going from a 15" woof to an 18" doesn't meant that the cabinet should be consequently bigger. most 18-inchers work well in about 200l BR cabinets that 15" drivers commonly need. after all if you insist to use 15" woofer I would suggest to consider Faital Pro 15FH520 or 15PR400. both are very good for the money. BD15 woofer (a custom made by Beyma) is also very good
Old 19th March 2017, 10:58 PM   #22
jrh0516 is offline jrh0516  United States
diyAudio Member

I used the 15LFA and was disappointed in the LF extension. I think 2-12s will be better suited to home environment and will give you more options (and bass). What's the min sensitivity?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA at INDY DS41584.jpg (644.8 KB, 275 views)
Old 19th March 2017, 11:25 PM   #23
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

Like wg-ski said earlier, the problem with the LFA is the Xmax. I believe that is correct, as excursion is exceeded easily in simulation.

I'd like to be above 95db 1W.

@ Dave123 - you misunderstand - I'm not 'stuck' on a 15. In fact i like the way some 18s simulate, especially looking at excursion. Never considered an 18 until suggested here. I just can't (won't) spend the cash on the products you suggest - I do appreciate the input though. (I will take a good look at the 18FH500)

Geez - the Peavey Low rider 18 does look pretty good. I didn't think I'd be looking at a Peavey, I just passed by them before.

Thanks all
Old 20th March 2017, 02:55 AM   #24
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

A modern 15 that i found that performs well is the celestion tf1530

They are smoother than the kappa 15 and offer decent midbass. they are not to expensive. I prefer them over the altec 416 and JBL 2226 for hifi use. sleepers

http://celestion.com/product/132/tf1530e/
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.

Last edited by POOH; 20th March 2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:53 AM   #25
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
A modern 15 that i found that performs well is the celestion tf1530...........

LF Pressed Chassis / Ferrite - TF1530e - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers
Thanks!

You linked to the 'e' model. Not sure if that's the one you meant.T-S parameters aren't complete and can't find a US vendor that carries it. Did you mean the non 'e'?
Old 20th March 2017, 11:49 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

you are correct, they are not the e model. i've used them up to 800 hz with success.
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:18 PM   #27
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
you are correct, they are not the e model. i've used them up to 800 hz with success.
Which cabinet did you use?
Old 21st March 2017, 01:26 PM   #28
charlie2 is offline charlie2  England
diyAudio Member

the celestion tf1020 10" mid got favourable results german magazine (glang tang) spelling
Old 21st March 2017, 02:28 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgunder View Post
Which cabinet did you use?
I have two in 10.5 cubic foot cabinets tuned to around 45 Hz. Presently part of my midbass coupler system. They worked great in those cabinets with a midrange horn above and the lower woofer low passed around 300 Hz. Everybody that heard them felt they were the best direct radiators they heard in my room. You will need subwoofers if you want to go below around 50 Hz.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:56 PM   #30
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have two in 10.5 cubic foot cabinets tuned to around 45 Hz. Presently part of my midbass coupler system. They worked great in those cabinets with a midrange horn above and the lower woofer low passed around 300 Hz. Everybody that heard them felt they were the best direct radiators they heard in my room. You will need subwoofers if you want to go below around 50 Hz.
Thx I have been thinking about a two-way with the 1530 used like this 8008-CORNER and a suitable horn and compression driver.

Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-wayHide this!Advertise here!