Visaton 2 way tower or Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are pics of what I've done so far. I'm going to attach the crossover to the rear panel and screw it on. Everything else is glued together.

I tested the speakers without crossovers and tweeters disconnected. I must say that I'm very impressed! They sound extremely good. The W170S's have a smooth soft characteristic.

Attachments

• WP_20170427_11_23_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170427_11_23_47_Pro.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 187
  • WP_20170427_11_23_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170427_11_23_38_Pro.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 178
  • WP_20170427_18_14_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170427_18_14_01_Pro.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 1,678
And I've finally gotten my kg of wire. Now the painful process of turning coils starts. 177 turns for 4 inductors, then another two, each with about 80 turns.

The speaker size is actually very nice. They're very big, sure, but it seems appropriate. The drivers look good against the size of the baffle, and the depth just seems right. I've been really impressed so far, and I'm very excited because of how they sound already. I believe these may become my main speakers, so I'm also going to make nice stands. It occurred to me to make stands, but now I'm convinced I'll need them. :)

I also have to plan the finish. I was thinking of a glossy black mirror finish. The veneer option would look nice, but I think I might struggle to get it looking perfect. I'm going to rather get the speakers 100% done, and then start planning the finish. I'll take my time as well.

I am hooked on this thread. I had a PM lately about using a Zobel on a woofer. The guy swears it sounds excellent! And I agree, because it gives optimal voicecoil damping to get rid of the HF resonances. :D

613767d1493322898-visaton-2-way-tower-monitor-audio-bronze-5-wp_20170427_18_14_01_pro.jpg

This is SO John DeVore! But not $5000. :cool:

Lojzek is into something with winding his own coils.

566481d1472055642-diy-coil-winder-ritter.jpg

I must do this myself. Easy enough to buy enamelled copper wire. It crossed my mind that nylon fishing line comes on handy plastic spools like some aircores. Maybe you can get some? My Wilmslow aircores are not baked, just wound around a plastic bobbin with a bit of tape to hold it all together. Heat might be an issue with some bass coils, but not on tweeters. Old Wharfedale coils don't look like rocket science either.

What works in your favour is that doubling turns QUADRUPLES inductance.

Attachments

• LR4 Crossover.jpg
    LR4 Crossover.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Wharfedale Dovedale crossover.JPG
    Wharfedale Dovedale crossover.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 189
Thanks. What I've done is build a basic rig, and now the coils aren't on any bobbin. I wind them, glue them and then remove them. I have the two 0.15's theoretically, and now I've attempted to roll a 0.82mH. It ended up with 160 turns, 1.1cm long, 1.2cm inner diameter and 7cm outer diameter. On a calculator site, that comes to 1.64mH. So now what? Unwind some or can I centre tap it? I'm guessing the centre would be somewhere near 115 turns and about 5.9 outer diameter?

I calculated for winding on a 1.2cm former, 1.1cm thick. I calculate for 1.25mm diameter wire. I used two web site calculators rather than opening my physics text books. The average was 160 turns, 8 turns per layer. The final diameter theoretically came to 6cm. But in practice, it's very difficult to wind a perfect inductor, so after 160 turns, I ended up at 7cm diameter. This is for 0.82mH. I'm going to have to set up a measurement to measure them all I think.

I will post images of what I've done as well.

Ok, so my 0.15mH inductors are fine. The massive 0.82mH measures about 0.56mH. Now at least I can match these things somewhat.

Interesting side note: I've always loved TIP35/6C as output devices because they're unbelievably robust. I essentially shorted my amp through the inductor at about 200Hz at (admittedly only) 0.4V. Still, it turned the inductor into a motor and made some sparks. Amp is perfectly fine. :)

Thanks. I will use wider formers next time because it's much easier as well. At least now I know. :)

I've attached some pics of what I've done so far. The big coil on the left is the first one. It's a bit bigger than the other one, but that's because it has glue in the middle because I needed to add windings. Still, they're both fine. Two more to go and i have everything. Hopefully today the speakers can be closed up!

Attachments

• WP_20170430_08_05_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170430_08_05_50_Pro.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 183
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.