Replacement 6.5" woofer for EPI speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of EPI bookshelf speakers that I got from a friend who used to rebuild speakers. The woofer blew out in one of them, and upon inspection, the cone material is very brittle. So I would like to replace the woofers in both of them.

There is no model number on the speakers -- not on the grill, under the grill, or on the back nameplate. They appear to be "low-end," with the cabinets made of particle board and covered with wood-looking vinyl. They are 2-way speakers, with a 1" tweeter besides the woofer.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced source for something like this? Thanks!

Last edited:
There is a company (it's just one guy named Huw) called Human Speakers in NH, USA who makes replacement drivers for EPI and Genesis speakers (copies of the original drivers) or can rebuild/remake drivers. You can probably find everything that you need there, and/or contact Huw for assistance.

HUMAN Speakers: Welcome

Thanks. By referring to that website, I was able to identify my model as the M60 (most likely). I'll see what Huw has to offer.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Lots of woofers that will fit that hole in that .3 cuft. But you will need a crossover. Win Burhoe had designed his own tweeter, and built first an 8 then a 6 then a 10 that roll off at 1.8-2k(lots of inductance). So you'll likely need a high-pass, if you don't just start from scratch.

Lots of woofers that will fit that hole in that .3 cuft. But you will need a crossover. Win Burhoe had designed his own tweeter, and built first an 8 then a 6 then a 10 that roll off at 1.8-2k(lots of inductance). So you'll likely need a high-pass, if you don't just start from scratch.

Pardon my ignorance. Would not the speaker have a crossover circuit already? Are you saying that depending on what woofer I put in, I might have to get a customized crossover circuit? Thanks.

not lowend

Well, they certainly look low end, but I didn't realize that the EPI line was highly regarded. They are sort of beat up. And they came from a guy who repaired loudspeakers. The tweeters look like other images that I saw today, so perhaps the woofers aren't original(?).

Anyway, it's probably heresy to ask on this forum, but is there an economical way to make these work again, even if not to original specs?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm not trying to discourage you. Most 6-6.5 woofers roll off an octave or more above the original(which sort of had a low-pass filter built-in). So you need to adjust the response to meet the tweeter, or raise the crossover frequency if you find a woofer with a smooth rolloff, but higher.
So find some cheaper woofers and compare their response curves. Look for a gentle rolloff and you will shift it lower with a fairly simple filter. They'll play. You can fiddle when you find a note you don't like.

Your epi woofer has a four layer voice coil, which is rather long (winding length) so finding a drop in replacement is unlikely to have the smooth response of the original. They look cheap, like early Advents, but sound better than they should, because the developers knew what they were doing. Sorry to go against Newer Is Better, but the money you save on generic replacements will be spent on crossover components not needed in the originals.

Just the opinion of an old AR (KLH/Advent/epi/etc) fan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.