2" more sensitive than TC6FC02-04?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did earmark this one before the TC6, it appears the only such driver so far, thanks for confirming. Can you elaborate on how close do the factory specs come to reallity? Sensitivity looks a bit too high, that`s my concern if its true data.

EDIT: I found your measurements on another forum, thanks. Looks like an interesting driver, maybe my only option.

Last edited:
I found your measurements on another forum, thanks. Looks like an interesting driver, maybe my only option.
If the measurements that you found are the ones I took on a large open baffle they should be taken with a grain of salt because the flimsy baffle wasn't supported and the driver was not really well mounted. At the time I did that because the driver is hard to mount without blocking the holes in the frame, (which are tiny) and I didn't want to do that.

I used them in a MTM project by rear mounting the W2-800SL and making a small internal sub-chamber for it. I cut a thru-hole about the size of the OD of the surround and then rounded that over to create a small waveguide. It sounded good in that project IMHO, although I have since taken it apart.

I have attached a couple of measurements from the MTM project. These include the on-axis response, the on-axis response with distortion, and the on-axis response with distortion after I EQ'd out the peak from the waveguide around 2.7kHz. Finally there is a measurement of on-and-off-axis responses before EQ-ing to give you an idea of the HF extension of the W2.

I would use this driver above 500-700Hz because below that distortion increases above 1%. I crossed it over at 750Hz in the MTM speaker.

Attachments

• W2-800SL on-axis FR.jpg
    W2-800SL on-axis FR.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 184
  • W2-800SL FR and distortion.jpg
    W2-800SL FR and distortion.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 186
  • W2-800SL FR and distortion with EQ.jpg
    W2-800SL FR and distortion with EQ.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 191
  • W2-800SL off-axis responses.jpg
    W2-800SL off-axis responses.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 189
Most people like the 2nd harominc so maybe these can be pushed a bit lower, down to around 500Hz or so with a steep slope. I am actually planning to use them in a car as a injection channel to fill in a small gap between a classic tweeter and a midbass unit to raise the stage to window height. Tried it with a low crossover on a tweeter that coudl do it and it seems to trick our brain, so want to experiment with a small fullrange able to act like a quasi-midrange. I think the first suggestion I like better a its 4ohm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.