REW measuremt phase blip - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2017, 02:43 PM   #1
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default REW measuremt phase blip

Please explain what this 180 HZ blip is.

whatisthis.jpg
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You are seeing a room anti-mode, or null. This is why you should be using near-field below 300 Hz or so.

Best,

E
Old 5th March 2017, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I was thinking that - it seems to be at like 8.3 ms. from the midbass horn. Too big to move much in the room.
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, the problem is this will move depending on your mic location ANYWAY! Move a few feet around and this dip will move too.

With adequate bass traps you can correct some of this with EQ.

Best,

E
Old 5th March 2017, 09:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The nicest way to really do this is:

Bass traps
Measurement averaged over multiple listening locations
Corrective EQ
Old 6th March 2017, 12:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My bass traps don't seem to work up that high. Maybe i should build something different. What I tried to do to damp the midbass horn reflections, and it seemed to help a bit, is the Roxul Rockwool Safe and Sound at the first reflection points. I only used one layer though. Maybe double it up? ROXUL SAFE'n'SOUND® | Sound & Fire Resistant Home Insulation
Old 6th March 2017, 01:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Of course, you can experiment with blankets and pillows thrown around, especially on the floor between and behind the speakers.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I do have a Behringer DSP1024 I could try that too.

Hide this!Advertise here!