Active and pad passive speakers convergence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read the text at the link but I don't see a need for your standard, or perhaps I don't quite understand its complete purpose or novelty.

If you have an active loudspeaker and you would like to connect it to an amplifier like a passive speaker, simply connect two resistors in series with a total impedance of around 1000 Ohms to the amplifier and with the resistors having a resistance ratio of about 30:1. Connect a wire in between the two resistors so that the voltage to ground is reduced by 31 times. Use this wire, and ground, to drive your active Loudspeaker.

Carver actually sold a product for this purpose called the Z-1 coupler. See:
http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=8374

The purpose here is not to have an active speaker that could be plugged to an amplifier.
Most pleople do not consider active speakers as serious audio product. (and I do not agree at all)
The purpose is rather to have a speaker built of to two parts:
- The enclosure with the speakers + a memory
- An external crossover module
Now according to the kind of crossover you plug the speaker is passive or active with the use of the memory to discover the FIR parameters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.