Did I just blew up a pair of tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am freaking out a bit. I think I blew a nice pair of tweeters.

Here's what happend. I turned on my preamp/dac and my First One amp, the Hypex SMPS of the F.O. kicks in a bit later due to a 3V trigger on the preamp/dac

My Dad wouldn't lock on the USB signal so I switched everything off and on again...there was a (nasty) loud thump and now I have a rattle in my (speaker)/tweeter.

The speaker is a Eminence Beta 12LTA no filter and a Philips RT8 ribbon tweeter with just a 2,2uF cap.

I don't have spare parts at the moment to find where the problem lies... I think its the tweeters but I hope it is the caps and I certainly don't want it to be the Beta 12LTA.

I hope someone could shine a bit of light on this problem....

R.

Oh Dear. You can't test a ribbon tweeter with a 1.5V battery like you could a dome tweeter. They hate DC. They also usually need something higher order than a single capacitor.

I think it's extremely unlike you have blown a capacitor, especially a 250V polypropylene. The fragile ribbon must be the suspect. A visual inspection seems in order.

Troels Gravesen has an article called JP3 Ribbon Replacement, which you might look up.

Attachments

• JP3 Ribbon Replacement.JPG
    JP3 Ribbon Replacement.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 128
You gone all quiet, Xerxes75. But you did ask. :D

Here's how to fix a ribbon tweeter with a bit of kitchen Aluminium-foil and some cardboard and glue:
Ribbon Tweeter Horn Loudspeaker: Decca London/Stanley Kelly - Efficiency, Size, Filter and Frequency Response.

Blown woofers, well, TBH, just pushing them in might might reveal a scraping voicecoil that has turned into a birds-nest due to overheating. But what's stopping you driving the bass directly? And listening for problems. :cool:

TBH, I think life just throws problems at you. It's your response that matters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.