Help with tower upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I experimented with the crossover by bypassing the series resistor and while it did increase the top end, the overall sound was no better. Seems more like the mid range is lacking, which makes sense based on the quality of those 8's.

So I think I'll just leave them be, save the time and hassle and build a proven 3 way kit in the future. I was hoping to get a quick and easy improvement by swapping out some drivers but I know now it's not that simple. I appreciate everyone's help. On the plus side, I've learnt heaps in the last week or so. :)

Wayne, I'm a bit disappointed with your lack of effort here... :eek:

I get an extremely good sound out of the 8" and 1" combination:

599660d1487267698-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitor-audio-r300-md-resurrected-cabinet.jpg

Your speaker has problems straight out of the box in finding a 1" tweeter that is efficient enough to keep up with paralleled basses.

602948d1488608793-help-tower-upgrade-img_1675.jpg

I'd wire them in series for 16 ohms and about 87dB. Converting a crossover's values is simple enough. You can then fit almost any tweeter you fancy. But I never waste time on first order filters. They sound terrible. The usual 3.3uF in most cases.

I have had a lot of fun using a 92mm Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter with 8" bass too. The only fault is the limited dispersion at high frequency. The sound is excellent.

432704d1407782160-8-1-two-way-diy-speakers-modified_ma-r300md_ht22-8.jpg

I got the idea from the respected WLM La Scala, which used the 4 ohm Visaton W200S and TW70 tweeter. Below. It was a very expensive speaker, but used cheap drivers just like yours. Genius, IMO.

Attachments

• WLM La Scala.JPG
    WLM La Scala.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
I experimented with the crossover by bypassing the series resistor and while it did increase the top end, the overall sound was no better. Seems more like the mid range is lacking, which makes sense based on the quality of those 8's.

So I think I'll just leave them be, save the time and hassle and build a proven 3 way kit in the future. I was hoping to get a quick and easy improvement by swapping out some drivers but I know now it's not that simple. I appreciate everyone's help. On the plus side, I've learnt heaps in the last week or so. :)

Oh, say, bypass the tweeter's series resistor with an RC, not just a solid wire.
Perhaps 2R and 1u (for Resistor and Capacitor). You'll get some crisp treble. The suggested resistor value may need adjusted to suit personal tastes.

If the midrange is lacking in amplitude, then the Woofer's RC is wrong. That is a necessary, yet strictly evil, part of the woofer's crossover (typically). It ruins/shunts the quality of midrange in order to reduce the amplitude. An, while that part does stop the shout, it does also cost quality. That's how most ordinary parallel crossovers work. The trade-offs do need adjusted with care. Anyhow, if you want noticeably louder midrange from your 2-way speaker, then adjust the woofer crossover, just a bit.

wlg, we ought to get on first name terms. I always find internet nicknames a bit odd. :)

Another approach, availability allowing, is to fit a big loud 95dB 1.5" tweeter with or without a waveguide:
www.audioexcite.com Monacor DT-300 + WG-300

Since you live in the land of Australia, with all its terrible import issues, you might get in touch with Joe Rasmussen for some of his waveguides and tweeter ideas too:
Elsinore Speakers DIY

1. Monacor DT300 and its waveguide can be had from Soundlabsgroup (in Sydney or Melbourne).
2. Other cheap tweaks could be: 1. Reducing the internal volume. Trial this by removing a woofer, adding some tins of beans/catfood/whatever, and resealing; OR 2. Adding more wadding, by the same method; OR 3. Room treatment; OR 4. Adding mass/damping to the woofer baskets.

Doug
(Brisbane)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.