First build ever, tips for TriTrix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered the tritrix mtm tl speaker/cabinet kit from parts express. This will be my first ever speaker build. I know it's highly regarded for it's value and relative simplicity, but want to gather any feedback from others who may have build this set already.

Issues I've seen, how best / where to attach the crossover and other electronics so they can be accessible once the speaker is built. Anyone have any recommendations.

I want to do a walnut veneer finish. I've never done any veneer work, but I known a guy with a shop and veneer press. Any special recommendations for prep? How do you handle the front facing edges of the side panels? Just cut thin veneer strips before assembly or wait till you have the cabinet assembled so you can use a single piece for the front (the side where you mount the speakers)?

I've seen forum posts about the inaccuracies of the wiring directions, has anyone created or posted a correct diagram or photos. The video at parts express covers it, but I'd rather print out or leave the steps pulled up on my phone rather than have to scrub through a video while in my garage.

I have plenty of experience soldering small electronics for micro controllers how's this compare?

Here are some options for xover placement. Make the boards small enough to fit thru the woofer hole & attach to the bottom panel or better, the rear wall. I use the 3M Industrial Strength Velcro - they won't come loose. If you choose the bottom location, keep the inductors as far away from the woofer magnets as possible. Another option is to make the back panel removable & attach the crossover there. Something new I've seen at Meniscus is a combo xover board/binding post plate. Just cut the rear hole to fit & build the xover on the inside of the mounting plate.

As far as the wiring, Curt's page Speakerdesignworks.com, is usually updated with any changes to his designs, so I would go with what has has currently posted. I know he updated the Statements with some changes.

For veneer, build the enclosure first. On the baffle, you can veneer first, then cut your speaker holes, or cut the holes first, veneer over them, & use a small flush trim bit to open them up. I really like Rockler's PSA Walnut veneer. Easy to apply & finished beautifully.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.