Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Almost-Newbie needs some 3-way speaker & tri-amping advice :)
Almost-Newbie needs some 3-way speaker & tri-amping advice :)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2017, 11:09 PM   #31
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Almost-Newbie needs some 3-way speaker & tri-amping advice :)
After long considerations I've decided to work with these drivers (meant for 1 side here):

- low: 1x Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer
- mid: 4x FaitalPRO 6FE100 6" Professional Midrange Midbass Woofer 8 Ohm
- high: 1x Aurum Cantus AST25120 Aero Striction Tweeter 8 Ohm

Outfit would be most-probably:
- separate trapezoid vented box for the bass driver (something like here but lower and no parallel walls)
- separate thin box for the mid-high section (still considering a grouped-together design in favor of vertical sound dispersion instead of the classic thin-tall design).. put onto the bass box..
- white piano finish
- all speakers will be IEC-measured again one by one in the lab to see real data instead of manufacturer datasheet (and correct/calculate any deviations)

Further considerations and ideas:
- speakers selected with more or less the same sensitivity (mids have lower SPL but 2 in series and then this to parallel increases sensitivity by +6dB and will match with the bass and tweeter) - just for backup purposes, should the system be driven with passive 3-way crossover and 1 stereo amp temporarily

- generally good sensitivity (around 98dB all, that's okay)
- power handling when using them as home cinema fronts (30% of time)
- custom preamp (passive ? active?)
- 24 dB/Octave 2/3-Way Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover, XO freqs at around 250Hz and 2.5 KHz
- tri-amping
- Bass: some kind of MOSFET monoblocks at around 500-700W 8 Ohms
- Mids: tube push-pull class AB with KT 150s ~ 150-200W 8 Ohms
- Highs: not sure yet. Pushpull class A OTL might be weak here, or even not.. (have couple of 6C33C-B NOS tubes).. I'm also open to MOSFET again too .. or else.. whatever drives the ribbons the best (sonically)..
- gains matched..
- going to be my very personal big experience, all this stuff. I hope the best.

Last edited by Vortex; 28th May 2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 16th June 2017, 04:02 AM   #32
karl sartori is offline karl sartori
diyAudio Member

Default re:multi way

for crossovers i suggest you try a dbx pa2 unit,plug it in and go ,it has the ability for you to adjust all parameters on the fly.check it out on youtube.i've been using it for a couple of years in aDIY triamped phono system and it is spectacular,no sound colouring whatsoever, it being a digital unit.my threepence worth.
Old 28th October 2017, 04:50 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Almost-Newbie needs some 3-way speaker & tri-amping advice :)
Thanks, I'll give it a try
Old 7th December 2017, 09:29 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersma View Post
Finished multi-amp project with amp modules and Linkwitz Riley filter
Do you use same amp modules for bass-mid-highs ? (I mean: absolutely the same?)

Right now I'm thinking of healthy-required power needs to driver the sections with enough peak-reserve.. so I came across
- a 2500W@4R Class-D for the bass
- ca. 250W@8R for the mids
- ca. 100W@8R for the highs

Now how I'm going to design amps for that, is another question. 2 factors to be considered:
- I have to maintain the same amplification gain in the designs all over the chain as a basis, allowing for some fine-tuning of gains via DSP or preamp or on the amps themselves. Any good practice where to adjust these ? I think there're several points we can fine-adjust gains and achieve the same SPL at the end
- amps for mids and highs can be "smaller", they require less power so the PSU part can shrink as we go up with freq.

For the Class D I'm going to buy a Hypex UcD2k.

Amps for the mids and highs are still open, although DIY for sure. Just cannot release the challenge and the fun of building these for ourselves. All class AB for sure.. (don't want to heat the room).
Old 9th December 2017, 06:50 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Made some calculations for the most critical part - bass. The small increase in SPL peaking at ~130Hz is the "Simulate voice coil inductance"-effect of WinISD. True or not, that's it for now.

I played around with the parameters and I'll probably go with the red line version - 600 liter box, tuned at 24Hz. It's also ideal, somewhere around an almost 1 meter long cylinder with a 18" diameter (like the speaker itself). I might correct the bass section with gain on the filter side - or even leave it as is.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:13 PM   #36
globalplayer is offline globalplayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Made some calculations for the most critical part - bass. The small increase in SPL peaking at ~130Hz is the "Simulate voice coil inductance"-effect of WinISD. True or not, that's it for now.

I played around with the parameters and I'll probably go with the red line version - 600 liter box, tuned at 24Hz. It's also ideal, somewhere around an almost 1 meter long cylinder with a 18" diameter (like the speaker itself). I might correct the bass section with gain on the filter side - or even leave it as is.

Click the image to open in full size.
You want the FR of the enclosure flat. In this design you loose 3dB of bass output.
Ideally you want to look at the datasheet of the speaker where the speaker rolls off like 3 to 6 db and then tune the box so it will have a 3 db boost a little lower where the speaker rolls off and the port will make a flat curve in the end and extend bass range for free and flat.
Old 10th December 2017, 03:04 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I'll equalize accordingly. Or even win this back with correct placement since the boxes will be put into a room. We'll see after some fine tunings regarding gains & some equalization, if needed at all. The DSP will do the trick.

Almost-Newbie needs some 3-way speaker & tri-amping advice :)Hide this!Advertise here!