My Altec Model 19 crossover build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few photos of my crossover boards. I used 1/8" thick red fiberglass electrical board, 8-32 x 7/8" brass screws for the turrets. All components soldered to terminals and brass nuts to secure. The caps went on last so they can be swapped out for experimenting.
Hope you like it.

BillWojo

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Thanks guys, it was a lot of work but worth it in the end, these will be mounted externally on a nice piece of walnut.
GM, "you know who" would never approve, but I ran out of the heavy gauge welding cable when I built my phono cables. Actually, I think he was thrown off of this site a while back.
If anyone wants more details on the construction, let me know. I originally posted this on AK and the Altec host board but figured that I would post it here because this board is dedicated to DIYers and I have learned so much here.
I have always admired turret board construction and that's what gave me the inspiration to build it like this. Plus my friend Steve was working on a set of Altec Model 19 crossovers and wanted to do something similar. He sent me an email with his layout and it was perfect for turret board construction. We went back and forth a few times to get the best layout and that left me with the question of how to build a turret board. I settled on using 1/8" thick electrical grade fiberglass and brass screws and nut's. I figured that this kind of construction has been in use for over 100 years in industrial applications so why not here.
I hope I have given some others a little bit of inspiration on one of there builds and one advantage is that modifications are easy to implement.

BillWojo

Looks good. I had to react at the screws. Slot heads. Nothing against them, but they are rarely used these days, but when I was growing up, learning electronics, and building things like Heathkits and Eico kits, everything was slotted screws. So I got an instant nostalgia hit.

The red fiberglass board is GP03 material. You can find it on Ebay but I found that McMaster Carr has much better pricing. Mills and drills decent enough, just use good quality sharp tools and don't expect them to last long unless your using carbide. The glass is very abrasive to cutting edges.
These will be used with HeathKit AS101's, a nicer built copy of the Altec Valencias. I wish I had Model 19's, but they get quite pricey. I have the same load with 416's and 902's. Should sound good when I install them.

BillWojo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.