Any DIYers in the Bay Area able to help with a 2way horn build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for someone with speaker building experience in the Bay Area that would be able to help with the design and fabrication of a 2 way horn speaker with a bass reflex woofer.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but please let me know if this post belongs in another thread.

If interested please PM me for more details!

I would do it the opposite way:
Fabricate and assemble, then measure, then design (the crossover).

If you are just looking for any old PA style but good sounding speaker, there are lots of variations of the "Econowave" speaker, and related designs. Whether you used sealed or vented for the woofer is not all that consequential.

Did you have particular parts in mind, or are you just looking to build something along those lines?

DIY Sound Group offers expert designed kits with CNC precision cut cabinets at reasonable prices. Most of their speakers have several owner reviews to help your selection, and build confidence. Take a look at the Fusion-12 Tempest and HTM-12 , which also offer a flat-pack cabinet. Glue, hand tools, and paint is all you will need. Introduce yourself to your neighbors with their Intrusive 1899 or Maximus 18. They also sell woofer cabinets if you plan to stack-up a custom horn.

Fusion-12 DIY Sound Group
HT-12 DIY Sound Group

The Intrusive 1899 DIY Sound Group
Maximus-18 DIY Sound Group

Attachments

• Hi Neighbor.jpg
    Hi Neighbor.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 172
I have been looking into building a two-way also with high efficiency pro drivers. I love the sound of the B&C D250 with several different waveguides but the challenge is finding a woofer that works well in a box 3cf or smaller (preferably 2cf). My shortlist consists of:

Eminence Gamma 15A
Eminence CB15
Eminence Beta 15A
Eminence Delta 15LFA
Dayton PA 380-8 (which I returned because the voice coil was rubbing)

I may just build something with the Eminence Beta 10A that I currently own in a 2cf box - which should go down to 60Hz.

But the 15 inch woofers listed above don't extend much lower even in larger boxes - and that's what makes this more difficult than it should be. Using 'home Hi-Fi' drivers will extend below 40Hz but won't give you 95db per watt.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am familiar with both the Cornscala and Fusion 15 speakers which I've considered in the past. I've been thinking of something along these lines but wanted to separate the woofer and mid enclosures similar to the La Scala's. I'd also want the bass to extend below 45Hz possible to 35Hz if possible... I too have notice the 15" woofers don't extend very low so maybe a 10" or 12" can?

I still would like to someone able to fabricate rather than work from a kit but we will see!

Thanks for the feedback.

I am familiar with both the Cornscala and Fusion 15 speakers which I've considered in the past. I've been thinking of something along these lines but wanted to separate the woofer and mid enclosures similar to the La Scala's. I'd also want the bass to extend below 45Hz possible to 35Hz if possible... I too have notice the 15" woofers don't extend very low so maybe a 10" or 12" can?

I still would like to someone able to fabricate rather than work from a kit but we will see!

You're welcome. Once again - I think the cornscala / cornwall will get down below 45 Hz (not so sure about the fusion). I have about all the parts to build one - as a result of my ongoing klipsch-belle-Frankenstein project .

It's easy to build the top cab as a separate unit - though that might result in some unutilized space . Maybe you're going for the altec model 19 look .

Here's another option for a bass bin (semi DIY)
JWC Mini Punch

To give you a few general rules of thumb, ..

a. if building a bass reflex woofer + horn combo, ..look for a horn / compression driver than can work down to 800 - 900 Hz

b. If the woofer system is horn loaded, ..look for a horn / compression driver than can work down to 500 - 600 Hz

Faital pro 1.4" compression drivers (I use HF146) will easily achieve (a) . They can just about achieve (b) but I'm still evaluating

Lastly, there's also this horn loaded bass section but it wil still need help down low and , frankly, not my cup of tea - aesthetically . https://community.klipsch.com/index...bass-horn-measured-fr-how2build-and-hornresp/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.