Help inductor. Parallel windings of thin wire to make one? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #81
Butcher is offline Butcher  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

"Using my old rule of 1:1:4 (which may not be best)"

We will see. I like my own rules... Probably crash and burn, but learn something along the way!, possibly ???

"I wrap thick cotton/nylon thread in blanket stitch to help hold the turns together."

Andrew, must sound good then.

thanks for sharing directions instructions for home brew, self wound. I was feeling alone! Build your own equipment folks and be prepared to learn from mistakes....... Fun.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:14 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

I nursing windings. Those little puppies can be rubbed against bricks. Sharp obstacles for us sensibles.. Producing inductors is fun. Should be undertaken and understood. Make one, stuff that up and learn but think about previous goal and move on...
Old 21st March 2017, 05:29 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

I measured 2.48mH. I require 2.54mH, so not bad! I need to wind on some more windings.

I had a bad thought that paralleling two inductors in parallel would half the inductance. My theory was luckily incorrect!

Also, DCR is 2Ω per winding. Paralleled up equals 1Ω (measured). This is a tad high. But acceptable as 60L cabinets with 12" drivers is not so good living with neighbors close by... So Z = 8Ω + 1Ω DCR in series. I might have to attenuate mids and tweeter somewhat. As I run .FLACs from my PC, I can use digital eq.

Total weight is just under 300g.

With our 12dB / octave designs, I may have to use thicker wire. I will provide photo of my mates 6 foot high home-wound NZ hardwood speakers and also mine (old Philips ones) at later date.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.48mH.jpg (79.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:15 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Completed inductors. They are both 2.54mH and WELL within 1%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.54mH Done.jpg (104.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:20 AM   #85
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Completed inductors. They are both 2.54mH and WELL within 1%.
Congrats, they look good. Truly DIY.

Must be nice to know you can change them at will, without a 1 wk delay and shipping charges.
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:39 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Hey DonVK! Thanks. Yes, shipping charges, GST (tax), not made in China (as opposed to NZ!), and My coils are spot on in inductance.

I may have to wind with thicker copper though.

Final dimensions are 27mm former, 35mm wide and 0.8mm copper windings (x 2 to make 1.6mm dia.) are about 14mm deep.

I might mount the board and inductor to a sheet of ply and screw it to inside of cabinet. Finally I am going to line all inside panels with stuffing from an old duvet and use some yellow glass fiber insulation that was installed previously. When I stick my head into the 60L cabinets and yell, there is a $hit load of echo. Hopefully they will sounds good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.54mH Done b.jpg (116.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Butcher; 22nd March 2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:29 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey DonVK! Thanks. Yes, shipping charges, GST (tax), not made in China (as opposed to NZ!), and My coils are spot on in inductance.

I may have to wind with thicker copper though.

Final dimensions are 27mm former, 35mm wide and 0.8mm copper windings (x 2 to make 1.6mm dia.) are about 14mm deep.

I might mount the board and inductor to a sheet of ply and screw it to inside of cabinet. Finally I am going to line all inside panels with stuffing from an old duvet and use some yellow glass fiber insulation that was installed previously. When I stick my head into the 60L cabinets and yell, there is a $hit load of echo. Hopefully they will sounds good!
I buy sheets of this stuff for proto PCB work. You can cut it to shape, solder to one side and drill it easily for mounted components. The only place I can find large sheets is HK.

This is one sheet cut in half OmniDirectional - work in progress

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by DonVK; 22nd March 2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:39 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Thanks DonVK, yes Yuor prototype boards are looking good! Loop the legs of heavy components thru the board for extra support... I intend on getting my act together and make circuit boards. I have all them chemicals for photo etching. I just need to buy some lamps and mount inside an old flatbed scanner!

I like the sound of my 6dB board so far. I will build some 12dB ones for myself after completing my mates speakers...

Here is my setup being tested (sort of). Still some work to do. Boy it sounds much better! I want to crank it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Setup.jpg (84.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:52 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Listening to some good music and allowing ears to adjust. Close eyes and focus into different instruments. Sounding real good... (Not quiet finished yet).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Set-Up.jpg (47.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:24 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Listening to some good music and allowing ears to adjust. Close eyes and focus into different instruments. Sounding real good... (Not quiet finished yet).
Looks like you have some vintage gear. Do you collect? or resourceful

Hide this!Advertise here!