Help inductor. Parallel windings of thin wire to make one? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Butcher, Here is an easier way of obtaining coils and whatever else you may need.

I hope this helps.

SpeakerBug

C.M
Old 20th February 2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Butcher is offline Butcher  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

So wire is hex in shape ? Hahaha
Old 20th February 2017, 09:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Tweet!

Yea I bought set of crossover boards from Jaycar about 8 years ago. Populated with PPE dielectric caps and wound half of the inductors.

I am also after advice in low inductance resistors. I have measured resistors of 2 ohms and discovered high inductance. I admit that most of this is caused by BS by not factorising R.

Here in NZ there is not much choice of 'splurging' into components.

Thanks Tweet! Nice to meet etc.

I can take photos of current (bad pun) setup. I appreciate all your help !

...gonna make high Z inductors, if it urgs (bad pun) me!

Size doesn't matter too much. Balance between size and insulation does.
Old 20th February 2017, 09:57 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

ps. power handling requirements = 100W RMS DIN or less, total... (50W p/channel)
Old 20th February 2017, 10:34 PM   #15
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I guess making 4mH inductor would be about 10 times the size of a 0.4mH one? I understand it has to do with 'turns ratio'. I am guessing that DC resistance would be higher, due to 10 (?) times the number of turns.
Inductance varies as the number of turns squared, so it only takes twice as many turns to get 4x inductance.

If you are winding your own, you can use a railroad spike or 1008 (low carbon) steel bar stock (even bundled nails might work in a pinch) and get roughly 4x the inductance. I think iron core like to have fewer layers with more turns per layer.

I would use at least 3 strands of wire, as that is more space efficient than 2.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ron E.

I am not concerned about space or size of inductors. My personal speaker box is 60L. My friends ones are much larger volume than that. Inductors will be mounted securely.

Again, I am trying to avoid iron cores. I have lots of free 0.8mm diameter copper wire. I will look into winding may be three strands of 0.8mm in parallel. Thanks.

Few questions, how tightly should I wind the three strands?

Also, any ideas on material for bobbin? I am thinking PVC pipe with wooden disks for ends. The discs I can cut out using a wood hole cutter.

I will take some photos of progress so far.

By the way, I have chosen cutoff points as, 500Hz and 5KHz.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:47 PM   #17
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Short answer and nor digressing like some of the contradicting advice above.

1) do not twist them, no need to and in fact it increases total resistance

2) all turns must have the exact same number of turns and be wound around same axis (which may be some kind of magnetic one or simply air/vacuum)

3) one way to guarantee that is to wind many strands at the same time.
No need for the pack to be roughly circular, it may naturally form a rough "ribbon" when held by your guiding hand, no big deal.

4) in that case, inductance will come mainly from amount of turns, and core diameter , while DC resistance will be directly proportional to wire length and inversely proportional to number of strands in parallel, which will dictate equivalent wire section.

Source: I commercially design , wind and sell Musical Instrument transformers, both Power and Output types, and often rely on multiple windings of easier to wind thinner wire, which are later put in parallel.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you need to calculate inductors look for '' weeler formula'' & '' brooks coil ''.

But if you need to make stranded wire DO NOT US A DRILL it is not the way to go .

With a drill the wires will not only wrap aroud each other ... they will twist ... if you make a stranded wire with several small wires and twist them together with a drill and make 300 turns ... each wire will also have make 300 turns on themself ..and this will damage the wire .
Old 20th February 2017, 11:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have seen multi strand windings in SMPS transformers.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:40 AM   #20
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Butcher, me again, I though you were in Australia, a mix up with the flags.

Heavens, they should just build a bridge between the two countries and be done with it.

In regard to non-inductive resistors you could use the nichrome wire in those old electric jug elements (the porcelain insulator type), just wind the wire in one direction then in the other with the proviso of insulating one layer from the other.

Actually, non-inductive resistors generally provide very little benefit in passive crossovers because the audio frequencies are too low, any inductive reactance of a normal wire wound resistor likewise is essentially trivial at audio frequencies so making your own is likely to have inaudible results.

If you were to make an iron cored inductor it is best not to use nails or ordinary iron parts as they tend to have high retentivity and poor permeability. Audio transformer cores are best suited for the purpose if you decide to make your own laminated iron core inductors. Just a few thoughts.

C.M

Last edited by Tweet; 21st February 2017 at 12:50 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!