Horn Friendly Dome Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As Geddes has documented on here, dome tweeters are not ideal for waveguides or horns. As I understand it, the main reason is that the diaphragm shape is wrong.

For instance, the tip of a 1" soft dome is 1/2" closer than the edge. Half an inch probably doesn't sound like a lot.

It is.

A pathlength difference of just one half inch will create a dip at 13,500Hz. This is because 13,500Hz is one inch long, so the tip of the dome will be one half wavelength out-of-phase with the edge.

The solution I've been using is to horn load the SB Acoustics SB19. Due to it's 3/4" dome, the dip is 'pushed' all the way to 18khz.

JBL uses a different solution. If you look at their waveguides with domes, the dome is 'squashed', basically it's only a fraction as tall as a typical dome tweeter. And to top it off, there's a phase plug.

And you can't buy those JBL tweeters, they're not for sale.

But - I have good news! While perusing the QSC catalog today, I found that they're selling a very similar item, for eight bucks.

This might be a great option for someone who's looking to do a waveguide project, but doesn't need the extreme efficiency of a compression driver (or the price tag.)

QSC SP 000061 00 Tweeter for AD S52 | Full Compass

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, I'm willing to bet this is an OEM driver made by B&C. Here's why I think this:

1) QSC seems to use B&C and Celestion for the most part
2) the numbering scheme on the driver is the same that B&C uses

Not too shabby for $8

Have you seen the ring radiators from Vifa/Scanspeak? They`re somewhat flat and have a phase plug, not bad for a waveguide use :). Focal have a series of inverted dome tweeters which would be more like a CD, the TC90 and its siblings. I`ve had an XT25 which work nice in a shallow waveguide, such as the WG300 from Monacor and have had one of the first versions of the TC90 but its surrounds failed after some three or so years abuse.

http://static4.shop033.com/resources/B2/166322/picture/DF/85019103.png

I really like Seas 27TDFC in Seos 8 waveguides.
I currently have them in a Impulse H6 inspired project.

I'm in the middle of a Impulse H2 inspired project and I am going to use the same combo there.

Further down road I may have a look at the Scanspeak D2608/913000...

Attachments

• H6 Waveguide.jpg
    H6 Waveguide.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 803
  • Impulse H2 inspired.jpg
    Impulse H2 inspired.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 791
As Geddes has documented on here, dome tweeters are not ideal for waveguides or horns. As I understand it, the main reason is that the diaphragm shape is wrong.

For instance, the tip of a 1" soft dome is 1/2" closer than the edge. Half an inch probably doesn't sound like a lot.

It is.

A pathlength difference of just one half inch will create a dip at 13,500Hz. This is because 13,500Hz is one inch long, so the tip of the dome will be one half wavelength out-of-phase with the edge.

The solution I've been using is to horn load the SB Acoustics SB19. Due to it's 3/4" dome, the dip is 'pushed' all the way to 18khz.

JBL uses a different solution. If you look at their waveguides with domes, the dome is 'squashed', basically it's only a fraction as tall as a typical dome tweeter. And to top it off, there's a phase plug.

And you can't buy those JBL tweeters, they're not for sale.

But - I have good news! While perusing the QSC catalog today, I found that they're selling a very similar item, for eight bucks.

This might be a great option for someone who's looking to do a waveguide project, but doesn't need the extreme efficiency of a compression driver (or the price tag.)

QSC SP 000061 00 Tweeter for AD S52 | Full Compass

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, I'm willing to bet this is an OEM driver made by B&C. Here's why I think this:

1) QSC seems to use B&C and Celestion for the most part

2) the numbering scheme on the driver is the same that B&C uses

Not too shabby for $8

There are lots of dome tweeters that are flatter. Having a mask in front of the dome just complicates wave propagation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recomend to look for a tweeter with: flat faceplate, low fs and oil cooled.
It will be much easier to work with....

Tweeters I would look for:
Seas 27TDFC
Sesas 27TFFC
Scanspeak D2608/913000
Dayton RS28F
Dayton RS28A

rs_t_repositioned_felt_dome_offaxis.gif

Personally, I wasn't able to make the RS28 work on a waveguide. Basically the diaphragm is large enough that getting to 20Khz is already a problem. (The 'stock' RS28 includes a phase plug.)

I think it *might* be possible if you took it apart, made a new faceplate and phase plug that's integrated with the waveguide.

But I've had much better results with tweeters under 1" in diameter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.