Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Why the tweeter needs its own full bandwidth amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2017, 11:56 AM   #1
OnAudio is offline OnAudio
diyAudio Member

Default Why the tweeter needs its own full bandwidth amplifier

Once you decide to triamp in an active crossover setup, it is important to remember to outfit the tweeter with its own full bandwidth negative feedback amplifier so that it can cope with the bass notes hitting the tweeter cone
Old 13th February 2017, 12:07 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Confused. If you have an active filter then bass notes will not hit the tweeter.
Old 13th February 2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Rundmaus is offline Rundmaus  Germany
diyAudio Member

I guess the comment aims at the pressure waves created by the woofer hitting the tweeter cone and generating back EMF by moving it.

I have not measured anything, but as a first guess I wouldn't expect much movement of the small, rigidly mounted tweeter cone by the air pressure of bass notes.

Anyone ever measured the effect?

Regards,
Rundmaus
Old 13th February 2017, 01:39 PM   #4
OnAudio is offline OnAudio
diyAudio Member

Depending on your tweeter, the neighborly next door woofer could be rattling the tweeter to the bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Confused. If you have an active filter then bass notes will not hit the tweeter.
Old 13th February 2017, 02:30 PM   #5
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I very much doubt that. But would welcome any evidence you have.
Old 13th February 2017, 03:20 PM   #6
JensenHealey is offline JensenHealey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not many speakers have the back of the tweeter cone accessible to energy from within the cabinet. Many are mounted within their own mini-box or are shielded at the rear.

Having said that I cannot imagine that many tri-amped set ups have the amp deliberately bandwidth limited for treble use - the bandwidth limit has been done at the input by the active crossover so few designers would then go on to choose/ design/ further limit the power amp itself.
Old 13th February 2017, 06:12 PM   #7
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

What tweeter are you referring to that would literally have a cone? Dome tweeters don't and ribbon tweeters don't and usually come already sealed (other than ribbons intended to be used open-backed). And, no tweeter would need to have a full-bandwidth amplifier driving them in order to "cope" with bass notes, whether actively or passively crossed.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Once you decide to triamp in an active crossover setup, it is important to remember to outfit the tweeter with its own full bandwidth negative feedback amplifier so that it can cope with the bass notes hitting the tweeter cone
Old 13th February 2017, 06:55 PM   #8
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I think there is some confusion I'd like to clarify.

Imagine the outside of a simple 2 way system. At low frequencies the mid-woofer will be omnidirectional, but the wavefront will encounter the baffle for it's full width and height.

So a question I've often had is, what happens when this wavefront encounters other drivers, such as a tweeter dome or ribbon?

Most of us have been taught that a microphone is just a speaker driver in reverse! That is, they are identical in concept except whether the coil is used to create an electrical signal (microphone) or receive it (speaker). Obviously I'm simplifying a great deal, but it's true. Drivers are subject to the effects of the wavefronts put upon them as much as they are the creators.

This has some interesting connotations that I have not seen researched. For instance, as the OP asked, what happens to the tweeter?

What about in stereo systems? How does feedback, or lack thereof affect the 2 channel reproduction?

Fun stuff.

Best,

E
Old 13th February 2017, 07:06 PM   #9
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

tweeters usually have electro-mechanical "high pass" below fs

the tweeter combined back cavity and suspension spring is stiff compared to the woofer and the tweeter area is small

at sufficiently low frequency below tweeter fs the back cavity should resistively vent to the front to equalize atmospheric pressure changes < fs/100?

I think the Synergy guys have seen problems but they are combining in waveguides with compression factors in play
Old 13th February 2017, 07:22 PM   #10
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks JCX!! Good points, all.

E

Why the tweeter needs its own full bandwidth amplifierHide this!Advertise here!