need suggestions for modest home theater monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you all for your comments. Mine are the 2404H...

I do know this: I have heard these drivers in use on JBL products in the past, and I like the sound of them. They do not sound "horn like" to me. I have 4 of them NIB, which I paid $900 for years ago. My thought, or rather, question is if I can apply them in this part-time HT use.

...Any excuse to buy American.

I love 2404's too. I am not up on cone drivers that play high enough to meet the 2404 so I may be of little use to the conversation.

Buy American? Rock on good brother!

Barry.

Now some have said Americans like it LOUD and why I think you'd enjoy double woofer speakers.
These are the mdf's boxes from a few years ago that are just laying around. Just thinking about putting some back together, and/or building one more TMM box.
Plenty of parts, need to order one tweeter.
Also back to the room lay out, you'll want the full 7 speakers. Even if you have to use drywall mount (rear/sides only).

Red? felt lining
Also using cork around the slot port (o;

Attachments

• MDF.png
    MDF.png
    561.5 KB · Views: 86
ODougbo and 1 audiohack;

Thanks for your comments. I am in Midwest, an easy drive to Madisound. Ive bought numerous things there in the past from Larry, who has since retired. Bought my 2404s up in Minneapolis. The speakers I have listened to with the 2404 were crossed over around 4500 hz. Im trying to pick a driver over 92db efficiency 8 ohm that will work with those, or like odougbo suggests use 2 drivers 4 ohm.

Im thinking along the lines of what you suggested.... just knock together some quick boxes to test the sound. There is a a lot of scrap pkywood laying around here from construction. I have to narrow down my choices on the driver. The 18 sound driver suggested is on my list too. I bekieve that was the one zaph tested and thought well of. (Or was that tangband?)

Odougbo: just for testing, id run my active crossover from madisound, and biamp them. If it is a reasonable success then will build some nice cabinets and do crossovers.

It might be ridiculous to base a build around those jbl 2404 but they are just sitting here taking up space and silently mocking me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.