Four Vifa p13wh00-08s and two Scan Speak d2905-950000 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2017, 04:36 PM   #101
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

You might try the SB19s, the 'stress' issue with a 3/4" dome in a 2-way will not bother with the very steep filters you can implement with DSP. The 19s are as good within their limits as anything, and their off-axis response is great as you move about the room. But don't look down on the 2905s for being 'old'. You love the P13s, and they are no spring chickens design-wise. When the phone is answered at one of our local banks with "Welcome to America's most exciting bank!" I say "that's not good, I want a bank I don't notice, but that doesn't do anything wrong".
Old 17th June 2017, 04:52 AM   #102
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've ordered 2ml of ferrofluid, which should do me for tweeter reconditioning for the rest of my life

Now you're in trouble with Perry, for egging me on.
Old 17th June 2017, 03:29 PM   #103
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Nah. Keeps you busy and out of trouble.
Old 18th June 2017, 02:46 AM   #104
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At risk of sounding like Steve...

2mL of ferrofluid should go a long way.

I have a little 5 0.5mL syringe which is apparently enough for 5X 19mm tweeters. Like my current ancient SEAS 19TAF/G metal types.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...e=manufacturer

Click the image to open in full size.

If level is down by 5db, that does suggest voicecoil rubbing. Or dried out ferrofluid which sets to a thick "Vegemite" or "Marmite" iron oxide gunge after 20 years when the oil or kerosene has evaporated. We all know that ferrofluid wicks heat away to the metal magnet too.

Apparently ferrofluid works wonders in centreing the voicecoil which sits in a relatively narrow magnet gap. There might be some mileage in in trying a 90 or 120 degree different alignment if something is askew.

Did I mention that this type of tweeter in an MTM really appeals to my sense of symettry and dispersion?

Click the image to open in full size.

That plus an 18dB/octave Butterworth filter, which was Joe D'Appolito's original whizz MTM idea.

Enjoying this project.
Old 18th June 2017, 05:10 AM   #105
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Now you're onto something, Steve. I reckon if I remove the ferrofluid and substitute Vegemite, they'd be completely flat to 30+KHz

At least playing men at work...

I'm very tempted to try a ribbon, and agree regarding the nice dispersion match between a short ribbon and MTM woofers. I quite like the EMIT ribbons in my infinitys. Getting one to fit without major surgery is another matter.

Last edited by suzyj; 18th June 2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:17 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Suzy - just a suggestion but have a quick listen with no ferofluid in the tweeters. I've built quite a few Proac clones which use the Scanspeak D2010 & in my opinion the top end definately improved after the removal of the ferofluid from the tweeters. Troels Gravesen was the one who suggested it.
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen
The resonance of the tweeter will go up but that should not be a problem with your high slope active crossovers. I just found that once the ferofluid was removed the tweeter seem to open up with more resolution & detail.
Excellent build by the way!

Hide this!Advertise here!