Hegeman Crossover Mystery -- HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you should listen to the speaker without a tweeter, and adjust it so it sounds right.

Then add the tweeter in parallel to the network and adjust that for level with wirewound resistors or another pot. Hegeman did exactly that with his other models. It makes little sense to wire it at that LC centre tap. It just messes everything up.

In reality, the tweeter just adds a bit of air above 8kHz. I found it doesn't much matter where it points above 3kHz in some experiments with an omni style.

Attachments

• Modified BW3 Monitor Audio R300-MD.jpg
    Modified BW3 Monitor Audio R300-MD.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 827
I think you should listen to the speaker without a tweeter, and adjust it so it sounds right.

Then add the tweeter in parallel to the network and adjust that for level with wirewound resistors or another pot. Hegeman did exactly that with his other models. It makes little sense to wire it at that LC centre tap. It just messes everything up.

In reality, the tweeter just adds a bit of air above 8kHz. I found it doesn't much matter where it points above 3kHz in some experiments with an omni style.

I have procured some of the parts I need to restore these (they're hard to find) so expect some updates relatively soon (within the next month).

In the meantime, if you're ever interested in building a superb omni speaker (the imaging will blow your mind), with excellent bass (F3 ~30hz) in a tiny enclosure, let me know and I'll do a write-up on the Hegeman 1A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.