Driver for tractrix 110

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

I have for some tid now had a pair of tractrix 110 horns from horns pl.

I am looking for the optimal driver , started out around 3 years ago with Tad tm 1201 and was a bit disappointed , then changed to Fane studio 8 with at bigger dustcap , and mounted it very close to the hornstart - to improve the connection to the air , easyer than producing a phase plug , but adding approx 4 grams too the mmd.

Still looking for a better driver, and would like to continue with the big dust cap - i think.

Any good suggestions for the best driver for this horn ?,

i am currently looking at a fostex fullrange, reason is low mas- soft suspension- good bl factor and very low self induction - comments ?

what's wrong with 1201? i have a pair and I am loving them (in the auto tech 110 tractrix)

General low definition , i tried to minimize the compression chamber ,that helped a lot, removing the series inductor also helped, but had a feeling a lighter cone ( the tad is 50 grams) would be better, maybe a phase plug could do it.

Did listen to the BD design oris 150 horn with a Lowther driver , the impulse was very different - small dynamics was on a different level - easy and fast .

This is why i consider a lighter cone with high "vas", soft suspension - problem is that ekstra mass of the big dust cap i would like to mount adds relative much weight to mmd to the thin fullrange membrane.

I am using supravox 285-2000 with my tractrix 110hz horn which were modified by hornfabrik of germany (no dustcap). I also have compression at mouth (see attachment).

With the right crossover it is very good. Put the driver into horn and adjust the backchamber to get the resonance right. When you finish, take an impedance measurement. Flatten the impedance at the crossover. I cut it around 100hz with 12db and 6db at about 500hz. It blends well both to my dual tad 1601b woofers down below and the tractrix 200 with radian 850's above.

I have a relatively large space and floor with acoustic treatment under thick carpet too. I also have bass traps in their first reflection points on the sidewalls. Get this channel right it is so very important to overall sound!

Attachments

• Tractrix-100 - fi 174mm.jpg
    Tractrix-100 - fi 174mm.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 652
I am using supravox 285-2000 with my tractrix 110hz horn which were modified by hornfabrik of germany (no dustcap). I also have compression at mouth (see attachment).

With the right crossover it is very good. Put the driver into horn and adjust the backchamber to get the resonance right. When you finish, take an impedance measurement. Flatten the impedance at the crossover. I cut it around 100hz with 12db and 6db at about 500hz. It blends well both to my dual tad 1601b woofers down below and the tractrix 200 with radian 850's above.

I have a relatively large space and floor with acoustic treatment under thick carpet too. I also have bass traps in their first reflection points on the sidewalls. Get this channel right it is so very important to overall sound!

This is a driver of the right type, my "problem" is that my horn is with another start area, and it`s rear is covered with a big tube shaped cabinet - a lot of work to dismantle everything and start cut the rear

To bad you live so far away !

Ok , in general i find " high vas" - soft surround drivers more dynamic , when not pushed beyond limits ( no problem in horn), as a rule of tumb i dont try using midrange drivers below 4x res freq. they allways start sound lifeless down there.

But in a horn the air loads the membrane ( ? ) and pushes the res hz down, i know its normal to reduce backchamber volume , but this is for an other reason.

I believe to reduce volume in the compression chamber to minimum would also improve accuracy at lower freq. ?

In practicality tractrix horns aren't particularly sensitive to compression chamber size because they are too short to load the low end like exponential or hypex, but hey, if you are going to do it you should tune it for the best performance with what you have. I suspect in a 110 tractrix placed on the floor with the 8PE21 your looking at around a 200 Hz lower limit.

A Fane studio 8 with a 4,5 inch dustcap is monted very Close to the horn start -works ok , but i am sure there is a lot more potensial there .

The plan is to cut the horn in the rear, so i can get a apr. 200 cm2 start area and mount a fostex og lowther full range driver, much less mmd/s and higher vas.

The supravox 285-2000 and even more horn cut would be an option, but i have the 8" laying around, so i will start there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.