Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Driver for tractrix 110
Driver for tractrix 110
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2017, 05:13 PM   #11
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

i feel the little BC 8pe21 is more revealing/accurate than fane 8m in a front horn, the tad 1201 sounds best to me in a one to one size throat - the BC is a lighter cone and may be more what you are looking for
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 4th February 2017, 06:35 PM   #12
permorten is offline permorten  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes the B&C 8pe21 is one of the most powerful alternatives, maybe the highest bl/mmd in the 8" group ?, do you think av mod with a more soft ( foam )surround would make a positive change ?
Old 4th February 2017, 06:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permorten View Post
Yes the B&C 8pe21 is one of the most powerful alternatives, maybe the highest bl/mmd in the 8" group ?, do you think av mod with a more soft ( foam )surround would make a positive change ?
no that would be a mistake, don't mess with the dustcap either. up to 700-800 hz it probably won't need a phase plug but that may not hurt.
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 4th February 2017, 09:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok , in general i find " high vas" - soft surround drivers more dynamic , when not pushed beyond limits ( no problem in horn), as a rule of tumb i dont try using midrange drivers below 4x res freq. they allways start sound lifeless down there.

But in a horn the air loads the membrane ( ? ) and pushes the res hz down, i know its normal to reduce backchamber volume , but this is for an other reason.

I believe to reduce volume in the compression chamber to minimum would also improve accuracy at lower freq. ?
Old 4th February 2017, 11:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Honestly if your horn and back chamber are up to snuff you don't need to worry about pushing the 8PE21 beyond it's limits, They are around 108 db at 150 cycles with a watt in my horns. You should go with makes you feel good though.
Old 9th February 2017, 08:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Question ; I read about the importance of correct rear chamber volume / total fs.

This is a 110 horn, i cross active at 150 -180 hz - is the rear chamber volume still important - and if so why ?
Old 9th February 2017, 10:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

In practicality tractrix horns aren't particularly sensitive to compression chamber size because they are too short to load the low end like exponential or hypex, but hey, if you are going to do it you should tune it for the best performance with what you have. I suspect in a 110 tractrix placed on the floor with the 8PE21 your looking at around a 200 Hz lower limit.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:37 AM   #18
Joshcpct is offline Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi permorten!
Interesting threat. I made similar findings reg. hi-VAS, soft suspension, low-mass...
How is your development going?

cheers
Josh

Driver for tractrix 110Hide this!Advertise here!