Which horn from 450 to 2000Hz? K-510?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here it is - this is the cleanest horn compression driver combinations i have ever measured. it won't work below 700-800 hz though - as an upper midrange treble horn it is supremo

jbl2386 m200.jpg

Yeah, it's really large. The JBL 2384 is a nice horn but a horn with CD lower in frequency which can be crossed lower really sounds better in several areas.

The exit will be 1.4" and 1.5". I would never consider 2" exit. While 2" exit certainly works well in K-410 where beaming doesn't start before 10KHz, a smaller exit is an advantage.

Did you mean K-402? If so do you mind showing measurements where it shows beaming past 10 KHz? It did not sound like it to me and this owner's system was using the cheap Klipsch (not sure if these are B&C or something else) compression drivers and not the TAD 4002 that many are using. All EQ settings from the designer.

edit: the reason I say this, he had a couch and I moved between the three seated positions :)

Last edited:
Did you mean K-402? If so do you mind showing measurements where it shows beaming past 10 KHz? It did not sound like it to me and this owner's system was using the cheap Klipsch (not sure if these are B&C or something else) compression drivers and not the TAD 4002 that many are using. All EQ settings from the designer.

edit: the reason I say this, he had a couch and I moved between the three seated positions :)
Sorry, meant Klipsch K-402. It doesn't beam much, but becomes gradually narrower above 6-7KHz. At 12900 Hz the beamwidth has dropped to 50 degrees.

See attached polars.

Attachments

• K402_hor polar.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 98
  • K402_ver polar.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 88
Sorry, meant Klipsch K-402. It doesn't beam much, but becomes gradually narrower above 6-7KHz. At 12900 Hz the beamwidth has dropped to 50 degrees.

See attached polars.

Yeah, IMO fairly normal for controlled directivity. I realized you're Bjorn from the Klipsch forum so you obviously have much more experience with them than my ~ 2 hour audition. To my ears I never felt they needed any assistance up top. I posted some subjective impressions on ASR forum.

here it is - this is the cleanest horn compression driver combinations i have ever measured. it won't work below 700-800 hz though - as an upper midrange treble horn it is supremo

View attachment 603804

Thanks for posting this.

So the M200 is indeed a top candidate in my book. Too bad no measurements available for the Seos 24". I have to go with Face's min xo at 450Hz vs 2386 at min 600Hz. Of course your notion of what a min xo point should sound like and his aren't likely the same, but that's what I have to work with now. 600Hz min seems a little too high considering my intention to xo at 2000Hz above.

Nevertheles, a good place to start now.

Thanks for posting this.

So the M200 is indeed a top candidate in my book. Too bad no measurements available for the Seos 24". I have to go with Face's min xo at 450Hz vs 2386 at min 600Hz. Of course your notion of what a min xo point should sound like and his aren't likely the same, but that's what I have to work with now. 600Hz min seems a little too high considering my intention to xo at 2000Hz above.

Nevertheles, a good place to start now.

I would try a few other horns over the seos if possible. I didnt have much success with it at all. But others have so you might too. Hard to say until you try

This is the m200 compression driver - nice driver/horn combo - even if the throat is mismatched lol - throat is 1.5 exit of m200 2inch

Interesting. I just found that is hard to compare JBL 2169h to any other midrange drivers that I had. And I have a lot.
I also have Community M200 drivers and 2384 wg and would like to try it. Your diagram shows excellent result.
Pano, what would you recommend bellow it? Below 800hz? I have Altec 416 and couple others B&C 10, 12 and 15, but none of them even close to JBL 2169 abilities from 300hz and up.
Thank you,

Point taken. Can you suggest some?

Lewinski, did you ever end up building anything? I built some 2x12 bass bins paired with K510s active crossed at 800hz. This thread was one of my inspirations so thanks for that. Let me know if you’re looking for some specific measurements.

Attachments

• 675C5D71-7071-4579-8781-34324F4213DA.jpg
    675C5D71-7071-4579-8781-34324F4213DA.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: 1 users
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.