2/3 Way - 'Reference' build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was able to make a bit of progress this last week/weekend. I glued all the cld noise damping material to the panels, glued up both LF boxes, glued in some of the mounting cleats for the rear panels, and put some finish on a few of the prototype baffles.

If all goes well this week I'll trim the LF boxes and glue the cleats in for the baffle mounts. I'm waiting on more felt to arrive as I had less on hand than I thought.

a few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 378
A bit more progress tonight.

Got the rest of the felt in, trimmed some of the cleats, expoxied the blind nuts in to mount the rear panel. Also did some more final sanding on the LF boxes and put on a few more coats of danish oil.

I'll likely make a few more test baffles to test different set-back for time alignment. I'm also likely going to make some of the 'dagger tl' boxes that XRK971 describes. I want to listen to the tcd9's, and I know myself well enough to know that I'll end up buying a pair of 10f/8424's as well.

annnnnd maybe some different tweeters to try out as well, haven't researched that aspect much as yet, maybe some danish exotica?

Made a little more progress this weekend. Got the first box and baffle together, wired up the lf driver. I need some thinner gasket material and the correct size bolts for the rear panel, so no listening as yet. Hopefully I'll get a little time this week to get the second box and baffle near this stage as well.

I haven't done much to these besides listen to them and enjoy them. I do plan to do some more measurements, to adjust stuffing for the LF driver and integration of the tweeter. I want to listen to each little change I make for a few weeks minimum before I adjust/measure.

I can hear a few things I want to change/improve, so for now I'm taking notes and doing a bit of research.

I have started to put together some purpose built stands for these. I need to do a tiny bit more finish sanding, then pick up more danish oil and finish them out.

The stands are made from laminated ~12mm baltic birch, the bases are ~48mm, the rear legs the same thickness, and the front leg on each is ~96mm. The speaker sits on the top plate (~24mm). The top plate is the same footprint size as the LF box, I'll likely just use some blue tack to attach the speaker to the stands.

I could add feet or spikes to the stands, but they don't really need them in their current location.

Got a few minutes this weekend to finish the first stand. I just need to glue up the base for the second stand, the legs and top are all made and ready to go.

I like the look and they're certainly plenty stable. I'll probably put in some blind nuts in the bottom in case I want to add feet in the future.

Once the stands are done I'll be working on the next iterations of baffles, and cross over. May even try active, I have a MiniDSP 4x10hd so plenty of channels for experimenting.

Attachments

• IMG_4061.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    791.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4064.JPG
    IMG_4064.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.