Large PP capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know many of you would disagree, but I've been using 100V X7R MLCC on crossover with big improvement over PP caps. The clarity is superb. In theory, MLCC is not ideal for filter applicaiton (AC/DC bias, tempco, micro-phonic), but I tried with very positive result. BTW, my speaker is Thiel CS3.6 with 1st order crossover. However, I took the crossover board out of the cabinet to lessen micro-phonic effect (well, in theory. I've never felt the effect).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Hi all
I've read that using motor start capacitors is a good way to get large value polypropylene caps for cross overs, correct?
Cheers

I checked them out a while ago for dc-link service in GTI inverters and found the specifications very poor in several key area's. Firstly the ripple current rating was surprisingly low and secondly neither it nor the ESR/DF was specified at anything other than 50/60hZ.

Guess it comes down to you get what you pay for.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.