MT kit differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm sorting through the list of sub $400, diy bookshelf speaker kits trying to get a sense of the sound signature of these different kits.
I'm looking at a lot of different things; zaph's ZA5, tritrix MT, overnight sensations, tango, Continuum, speedster, classix, ECT. I'm sure I'm missing things, but these seem to be the ones people talk about the most.

Anybody have any experience with these? Any duds? I'm not sure what to build, but I wanna build something

I've heard all but the ZA5, Tango, and I don't even know what an ECT is. Don't forget my Stances...

What do you want to know exactly?
Later,
Wolf

Just a general overview of them would be nice. Areas where they excel, or short comings. For instance, I've heard the speedsters can't handle larger spaces due to cone breakup and distortion when played loud or that the woofer in the tritrix is easily outclassed by the others.

I'm building this pair for my main stereo in a 700sqft studio apartment and they'll be powered (most likely) by an Onkyo 9050. No subwoofer so bass extension is a factor.

Also looking into X-LS Encore

ZA5- I've not heard the design, but totally despise that tweeter. I find they have a 'glare' that sets me on edge.
Speedsters are a bit warm, but do very well as a design as long as you don't drive them hard where the woofer unloads. In the Neutrino design by Rory Buszka, he tuned to Fs of the W4, and this negative effect was greatly improved, IMO.
Tritrix do well at their price, and are nothing objectionable.
The OS is the gateway drug- many have been built, and they do well. The weak point is the 4kHz xover, IMO, but the ND20 won't go lower.
Continuums are just smooth and glossy when it sounds to detail and sound, but don't expect digging deep bass. The (vented) Piccolos are better suited for that.
Classix have a warm bass extension, and a dip where harshness occurs, making them easy on most recordings. Not a bad design.
My Stances are really well balanced, and the planar ribbon has a different quality to it than most any other driver I know of. The tweeter is not a low-HD device, but the HD has been reduced by way of FR changes. This is not a flat FR design, but sound very flat due to the HD signature in combination. They are also cheaper than the Speedsters.

Any more you want my opinion on?
Wolf

I've not heard the Encore, but I have heard the N2X. My opinion is that the boxes on the pair I heard weren't damped/braced well and ended up quite resonant. This could have been the person that built them didn't do it right, so I don't know. I felt the tweeter was xover'd a bit too high, and was little soft in level, making the woofer breakup more prevalent; or it was just that the breakup was not attended to. Not sure how much info can help you on this one, as I did not hear the original build, but only a kit-copy.

Most of the builds I've heard in your list were from the designer, and the original build, and I've heard other copies since for some of them. Really none of these are BAD per se, but I am definitely splitting hairs by comparison.

Later,
Wolf

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have owned the L-XS Encore and standard X-LS and would suggest the Encore for $60, the tweeter is much better. in the 0.5/ft3 suggested box and tuning, they can take a lot of power and still sound very good.
They won't give you the bass of the CLASSIX (which I own as well) but start turning them up and the X-LS's never cry foul. Hard to beat for $169. A really nice kit.
As Wolf mentioned, splitting hairs b.c both CLASSIX and X-LS Encore are great kits and just depends on your tastes for bass. I think you lose 15-20 Hz of low end between the two at F6/F10.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I also have a similar design to the Piccolos (same woofer, different tweet) Wolf mentioned (kit available) and that 5" woofer has surprising bass and capability. I would say a pretty good step up from the CLASSIX or Encores, if that is what you are looking for. Need to be on stands and out 1-2 feet from the back wall and they are quite capable.

The Mandolin is a two-way speaker that measures 15” tall by 8.5” wide by 11.5” deep with internal volume of 15 liters.
The woofer selected is the SB Acoustics SB17NRX30-08-UC
The tweeter is the SB29RDC-004 ring radiator.
This ported design has a -3dB point of 42Hz with a -6dB point of 38Hz.
The crossover point is at 1.8kHz, with special attention to reduce phase shift for a very wide and smooth off-axis response.

Mandolin Speaker Kit / Pr

POPULAR = OPTIONS
If you are interested in experimenting with different crossover circuits to understand how each affects the soundstage, you will find several alternative designs around the world using these same SB-Acoustics drivers to simulate and build. You can purchase the complete kit from meniscus audio, or follow a design thread on diy-sites like PartsExpress.

Attachments

• SB17NRXC35_8 Parts Express Xover.jpg
    SB17NRXC35_8 Parts Express Xover.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 226
In the $400 range you have a lot of options. And my experience mimics Wolf's.

A couple of others to consider:

This is a build I recently finished as part of the Parts Express Speaker Design Team. For the $400 budget, these come in under that and that includes the cabinets.
Midnite Magic | Parts Express Project Gallery

Or the Armonicos at Meniscus. These are still a reference for me. A great woofer that can play deep and can take quite a bit of power. Generous overlap of freq response between the drivers enabled a very smooth series crossover that integrates well. http://meniscusaudio.com/armonicos-bare-bones-pair-p-1474.htmll.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.